Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Opening rear passenger side door of phone user this morning

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by Jem, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I normally just let things slide when riding figuring that really it is not worth getting upset but this morning I could not let it go.

To set the scene I am traveling up Burke Road towards Camberwell Junction at about 7.45 this morning. The usual cars parked and the normal gap for me to ride in in the left hand lane. About Toorak Road I notice this blue Golf about 4 cars ahead wandering all over the place and make a note to take care when I get up to it.

So pull in just behind it; and no surprise here; she is on the phone holding it up to her mouth and chatting away. So follow along for the next couple of sets of lights waiting for a safe place to get past her - she is still wandering all over the place and I wanted to make double sure that she was not going to come over just as I got level with her.

Anyway to cut a long story short by the time we get to the top of the hill before heading down into the Junction she had really got under my skin. Traffic stops and there is more than enough room for me but something inside would not let it go so I pull up and open her rear passenger door ( I know some of you will say do her mirror but Cazo suggested this to me in another thread sometime ago as a non damaging tactic )

Anyway she lets out a little scream and the first thing she does is put the phone down by her side - very guilty look on her face. I yell something at her about getting of the phone which I now realise she will not have heard given I had my helmet on and visor down.

Did not hang around to see what happened next but guess she had to get out and close it before she continued on.

Not sure how I feel about it now, slightly guilty I guess but I was really worried that she might collect me as I went past she was so all over the place. Hopefully it gave her enough of a shock that she will think twice before doing it again.

Thought about putting this in mini rages thread but it is not really a vent just a story about what I saw and what I did.

Guess now that the adrenaline rush is out of my system I just wanted to know what others though - did I do the right thing or was I just a dick?

Cheers Jeremy

PS I have got my flame suit on so all opinions welcome......

• Like Like x 6
  2. Re: Opening rear passanager side door of phone user this morning

As you may know I advocate the taking home of mirrors, so I don't see anything wrong with this - I think the only lesson she'll learn is to lock the doors tomorrow, but at least you feel better and I'm sure you amused all the other motorists too.

Keep it up...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Re: Opening rear passanager side door of phone user this morning

That's awesome.

4. Re: Opening rear passanager side door of phone user this morning

...video footage required!

Excellent work! I usually knock on their window and do the "put the phone down" hand gesture...then watch all other drivers in the vicinity give her the death stare and shake of the head.

5. Re: Opening rear passanager side door of phone user this morning

just a shame she probably won't realise why you did it... probably just thought you were being a dick, whereas in reality she was being dangerous.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Re: Opening rear passanager side door of phone user this morning

Man thats gold she would have sh1t herself (y)

7. Re: Opening rear passanager side door of phone user this morning

lol, I don't think I'd have the balls to do this. I can only imagine the thoughts that bounced around inside her empty noggin as you opened the door. ****, kidnapping, bashing, cops. Hell I don't know. It would have been funny to watch though.

I'd probably just do what phongus said. I'm not one for taking home mirrors either. Each to their own I guess.

8. Re: Opening rear passanager side door of phone user this morning

this is hilarious! Well done mate :)

9. Re: Opening rear passanager side door of phone user this morning

hmmm maybe if doing something like this put your hand up to your helmet like your talking on the phone... then at least they might know what lesson they're meant to be learning.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Re: Opening rear passanager side door of phone user this morning

Good thought will keep it in mind - hopefully there is not a next time....

11. Re: Opening rear passanager side door of phone user this morning

Its true he has a large room with mirrors all over the walls and ceiling, sort of a trophy room. Sort of creepy really ;)

12. Re: Opening rear passanager side door of phone user this morning

Did this same thing 3weeks ago to a tosser who had moved over specifically to stop me filtering past.

Thoroughly recommend it.

13. Re: Opening rear passanager side door of phone user this morning

If I'd been driving behind her, I'd have wet myself watching this.

Maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to see it. I don't see an issue - a non-violent way to get a point across. Concur with those who recommend some sort of action to point out why. But don't assume she didn't hear - I had a screaming match with a Frankston bogan thru my helmet; she heard every word.

So, how far does one open the door? Just a bit? I assume opening it wide might interfere with the back of the bike.

14. Re: Opening rear passanager side door of phone user this morning

One of the things I like about summer is cars driving with their windows down.

Makes it so much easier to just grab the phone out of their hand and throw it into the passenger footwell (or onto the road) :)

15. Re: Opening rear passanager side door of phone user this morning

^^Have you done that? What was the reaction?

16. Re: Opening rear passanager side door of phone user this morning

I have just pulled on the door handle and it just pops open, didn't pull the door fully open of fear of damage to other good innocent motorists. Rear passenger side doors are the biggest pain for any driver to reach...if you want to be a real smart arse open the rear "door" of a hatch/4x4...DO NOT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD OPEN A REAR DOOR THAT SWINGS SIDEWAYS! ONLY THE ONES THAT OPEN UPWARD!. Had a clown had his swinging door on a 4x4 open, I knocked on his window to tell him, he proceeds to drive forward and hits me with the open door...lucky the door just swung without me falling over.

17. Re: Opening rear passanager side door of phone user this morning

I wouldn't do that...if you are not quick enough, they can grab your arm and pull you in. Best is to just turn their car off via keys if you can reach in. They are too busy fumbling the phone to worry about their car keys (assuming it's not a keyless start thingy-ma-bob). If not just sit next to them and rev your motorcycle...it annoys them even more. Then do the hand gesture of putting down their phone.

18. Re: Opening rear passanager side door of phone user this morning

I would have thought that grabbing someone's phone out of their hand (and probably touching them in the process) could be considered an assault.

19. Re: Opening rear passanager side door of phone user this morning

It's a long reach to get to someone's car keys. But not that far to reach if they've got their phone up to their right ear so they can rest their elbow on the windowsill (which seems to be a popular option with those not intending on getting off their phone anytime soon).

Besides, what's grabbing a rider at a set of lights going to achieve other than having 200+kgs of bike and rider slammed against their car door?

20. Re: Opening rear passanager side door of phone user this morning

But they're committing an illegal activity, and you're simply taking the minimum necessary action to stop that activity. :angel:

Certainly more justifiable in court than smashing a mirror.

• Like Like x 1