Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Open road to stop-start urban riding

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Cris, Sep 1, 2014.

1. #1 Cris, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    Does anyone else find the transitions between between these different modes of riding something to watch? I've noticed when I take a ride out of town, when I get back to the junctions and roundabouts and general stop/start stuff, I'm clumsier than normal.

There seem to be a few things that might play into this: just the physical contrast between the two, being a bit sensorily tired from the ride, and being a novice (so both types of riding still need some concentration on physical control of the bike, which isn't totally automatic yet).

A related side-issue is that I wear earplugs for longish rides, but they're a slight detriment when back in the urban setting because I can't hear the motor so well, so I look at the tacho more (one extra thing to pay attention to).

I suspect this is really a novice thing, but would be interested in what you guys think.

2. I have trouble maintaining 50-60km/h when you have been away in 100-110 zones for a few days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Spent years living in Sydney,traffic no drama.Spent 3 months living in the far bush,lots of B Doubles on 1 1/2 lane roads that scared the crap out of me.A couple of weeks and I am used to it.Come back to Sydney and I am scared of all the close traffic on The Bridge,couple of weeks and I am used to it.It usually takes me an hour or so to fully get in sinc with the bike after being off it for a while,and swapping from my right foot gear change bike to my left foot gear change catches me out on occasion.Human nature at work

4. Same here. I find that I have to get my brain back into "around town" mode after pleasant times on open roads with few cars about, and every now and again I do something beginnerish (more so than I actually am) when I return to town.

5. I have trouble not becoming angry or exasperated by the poor driving on display, when I go to ride on the flat there's a definite sense of here we go...
    How much throttle feel does your bike have? I've noticing as I get better when I glance at the tacho it's mostly reaffirming what I could already feel. I don't wear earplugs but here's something I did notice; rode on the freeway yesterday without a scarf for the first time, it was a revelation how much wind noise it apparently blocks at speed. I hadn't noticed it at lower speeds.

6. Hard to say, as it's my first bike, but I would say plenty (verging on twitchy in low gear).
    Like you, when I do look at the tacho it's usually confirmation rather than new info. But not being able to hear much of the motor does cause me to look more often. Perhaps I'll just get used to it (I've only just started wearing earplugs).

As for earplugs, I wouldn't be without them for any trip over an hour or so now. I find it so much more relaxing. A scarf would only be wearable here for a few mid-winter weeks ;)

7. Ear plugs are a must for me,I love my neck sock,they are 100% better than a scarf and safer.Have a read about Issidora Dunkans death,famous dancer from the 30s.There is a remote chance of this happening but who knowns.Dont like wrapping stuff around my neck,my sock is nice and thin.Keeps me warm and does not restrict head checks

8. My neck sock is my favourite piece of gear i have purchased.

When riding in shorts i wear a knob sock aswell out of respect for fellow road users.

9. Thanks. Wouldn't want to see a dickheads dickhead (y)

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. I've been so used to riding in the country that last time I rode in Melbourne I was a bit nervous for the first half hour or so, then it came back to me.

But for average riding for me the hardest thing is slowing down for towns and remembering not to carve up the round-a-bouts

• Like Like x 1