Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Open Faced helmets and bugs?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by randy_rider, Oct 3, 2005.

1. I went for a ride yesterday through Kinglake, Flowerdale and Yea.

For whatever reason, there were large numbers of bugs and big butterflies flitting about on the road.

By the time I got to Yea, I was covered in bug guts, my visor was covered in bug guts, and the helmet vents had bug guts in them. Some of the bugs were small and hard, and almost sounded like stones hitting my visor when then hit.

My question is, for open faced helmet wearers, how do you ride through buggy days?
  2. I would think they would get a good feed! Bugs for EntreƩ, Bugs for main meal :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  3. Honda in the USA in the 60's had an ad that said;

"You can tell the happy Honda rider by the bugs between their teeth"
  4. mmmmm, vitamins :D
  5. open face helmet, sunnies, & bandana over face.
    some of hard shell type give a bit of a sting when the hit you at 100kmh.
  6. Been hit in the chest by a pink n' grey at 110k's. Now that really hurt. (both of us).
  7. Thanks, so I guess you just have to grin and bear it?
    Or is that grin and wear it..

Are there extra tough sunnies for bikers?
    Mine are servo specials, and wouldn't survive bug battering.
  8. Ballistic glasses or goggles are probably your best bet if you really want tough.
  9. there are sunnies available that have foam around them to make them like goggles, and have detachable arms that you attach straps to. Bandanas are good, the canteen ones work, and they are cheap. Buy a few of them each year, support the charity and keep bugs out of ya teeth. I dont wear an open face any more, but still use the bandanas in summer to keep bugs off my neck. got stung by a bee once, not much fun.
  10. Mouth closed. :LOL:
  11. Don't expect a bandana to protect you from a bee. I've been gotten through a pair of draggins (thought I'd been bloody shot)
  12. Does anyone have any bug recipes to use the collected bug guts in?

Do they taste good stirred into beer?
  13. yeah I rode up to Lancefield on Saturday, and back on Sunday - Had the exact same problem with those white butterfly things... yellow guts...

:shock: What a mess!!

never seen so many!!
  14. its called meals on wheels
  15. Any suggestions within the bounds of achievablity for the women?
  16. its to hard so just give up
  17. Why do you think that all riders that ride with open face lids (mmmmmmmmmm lids) have big long beards?
  18. As a semi-reformed Open-facer myself, i'd have to say, i dealt with LESS Bugs with the open face !

Seems the "Aerodynamics" of the pen face, swept most of them away from the face for some reason... but I once copped a grasshopper between goggles and helmet !! - WOW !

First night with an open face, Dusk, heading from Somersby to Wollombi.... Bug City - ended up riding with the visor up so i could see !

Anyway all, later
  19. Seriously? are you all a bunch of pansies or something?