Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Open-Face Helmet Warmth

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by diego, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Hi guys! I've got my first helmet for riding around the city, a Bell Custom 500, and I absolutely love it. I've got a nice bubble shield too.

How does one stay warm when riding with an open face helmet, especially my neck and maybe ears? I see balaclavas, neck socks and stuff but don't know what would work best. I think I can wear a scarf for my neck. I'm also thinking a balaclava might now work so well because my helmet is super snug and exact.

Your thoughts and experience would be most appreciated

2. There are reasons why even die-hard OF wearers (myself included in the past) eventually buckle and don the full-face in midwinter :D.

Seriously though, I don't really get on with stuff against my face so I generally made do with a big PLO scarf sealing up the collar of my jacket and reaching up as far as the lower edge of the back of my helmet. Otherwise I just HTFU'd :D. Other people I knew used neck tubes that came up over their face or scarves in a similar position. About the best thing I ever saw was a neoprene (wetsuit material) face mask which felt very warm and snug but, like I said, didn't suit my personal preferences.

Here in Oz I haven't really encountered any weather which would make me change my old OF ways.
  3. Thanks for the reply. I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding what PLO and HTFU mean though haha :) I would like a full-face helmet but the ones I find are too complex and technical looking, I just want simple and clean - almost classic or retro looking. I don't need all these vents, aggressive lines and styling.

I wanted the Biltwell Gringo but alas it's not Australian standards approved, just USA approved.
  4. A PLO scarf is a big, square cotton one, as worn by the likes of Yasser Arafat. Hugely versatile and a standard item for UK bikers. HTFU is harden the fcuk up.
  5. Have a look at www.bikerbits.com.au headware section. They are based in Bendigo. I bought a neck sock for a full face. Service is great and I am sure they will respond to any questions. Good variety of stock.
  6. Grow a big bushy beard!:ROFLMAO:

Not a fan of Open faced helmets!
    Seen a couple of guys who have come off with them on, I won't explain; however, the bandages will keep them warm.
  7. the neoprene face masks are the ducks guts.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. if you don't wear glasses
  9. I use a Bikermask on really cold mornings, but they do make glasses fog up. If you use goggles they're fine.
  10. I've found a little dish washing or shampoo 'polished' on to the lenses stops them from fogging up. although it won't work on all glasses, those with the anti reflective coating are crap for fogging.