Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Mack, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Hello everyone! I just made the mistake of posting in the 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' section before here- so here we go.
    I live in south-west Sydney, and am in my last year at school , and I hope to go to university next year. I've always loved my bikes, but I sorta saw them as 'that cool thing I can never have'. Well, some of my friends have went down and gotten their bikes- and the reality hit me. I want one.

So yeah, I'm new to the bike world. Yet to convince my parents to allow me to get a bike (which will be a hell of a tedious task), and yet to buy a bike!

I am deliberating between a VTR250, CB400, and a Ducati Monster.. I need some help though, see my other post in the section I mentioned above!

Looking forward to being part of this great community.
  2. Welcome Mack, and good luck with your parents!
  3. Welcome Mack.
    If your parents are unfamiliar with bikes they probably think it equals noise, speed and violence. Think Sons of Anarchy.
    It can be helpful for them to understand how difficult it is to get your licence-doing your L's under supervision, doing the MOST test (NSW), etc. ie trained instructors stepping you through every move over a couple of days in total, kicking people off the course if they are a danger to themselves or others.
    Then point out the practice sessions you can attend via NR with very experienced riders. Also the organised rides where the emphasis is on enjoyment and minimising risk and helping one another out. Then point out the wide range of people involved who you will associate with through NR and other groups - ie you won't only mix with a group of 18 year olds who think they are bullet proof.
    Also note your approach to safety-atgatt, learning from others, advanced rider courses (eg Hart do asap), etc.
    Don't argue but educate. Take the time to break down the stereotype.
    Sorry if I am preaching to the converted here, but I am assuming your parents have a negative image of bikers in their mind. They see risk. You need to minimise that risk for them.
  4. Thanks Tone2!

Mariner, I think you're spot on. I had no idea NR operated in NSW though, seeing as to how the majority of users are in VIC.. But yeah, that and HART, along with the investment into protective gear seem to be strong points for my case. I'll use the time I need to save up to show them the truth of riding slowly..
    Hopefully it all runs smoothly. Thanks heaps for your advice !
  5. Good luck with you parents. If you spend a lot of time talking abut the right training and safe gear, you hopefully will move their perceptions bit by bit.
    As for bike selection, the following criteria apply: What appeals to you most? Have you sat on any? How tall and heavy are you? And what's your budget? No doubt there's more but they're the main ones.
  6. Thanks Hoski, I do hope so. Well, the Ducati does appeal to me most man. I just love them, but their price tag isn't pretty. I have only sat on a VTR250 and a CBR250R, so I'm fairly limited on that aspect. I weight in my mid-60's and I'm about 180cm's tall. My budget varies depending on quality. In other words, if a VTR250 can fulfill my needs (and wants) for the 3 year LAMS period, then I am all for it- as it is the cheapest. If not, than the CB400, and so on. I want the best bike for my money's worth.. And if that means saving up an extra couple grand, and waiting a couple more months- I don't particularly mind.
  7. Welcome to NR :)

I can personally vouch for the CB 400. Awesome bike.
  8. I'm leaning towards the CB400 man. I love its looks and feel! Cheers !