Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Oooowwww my hand! It hurts! Man I'm soft!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Jabba, Feb 28, 2014.

1. So last night and this morning were my first legit rides being 60km each way. My right hand is pretty much useless now lol! I couldn't sign properly for fuel and the guy at the servo and I laughed. Hopefully it sorts itself out for tonight so I can ride into work again. I think I really need to to chill out and not grip so tight and really try not to lean too much on my hands. It hard though, first time on the freeway and freaking out with all the wind and cats and the fact that my body is doing 100km sitting ontop of an engine and wheels that could go south any moment.

Hmmmm. I guess that right there is why they are so sore. That and I'm a soft bastard!

2. yep heaps of cats on the freeways
    • Funny Funny x 3
  3. Lmfoa! You would not believe the amount of cats you see after a long nightshift. Them and pink elephants. It's a conspiracy I tells ya! A CONSPIRACY!

I think I need help. That and a whisky.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I'm finding my hand goes numb, more than hurts. I get off the bike and I struggle to turn the key to the compartment, or to put my wallet in my back pocket again.

I also then can't flex my fingers outwards properly (especially middle one on right hand)

I've largely fixed it with my left hand, and I suspect I have minor nerve damage from post hole digging a few years ago is part to play.

I KNOW I'm not gripping too hard, I suspect I'm leaning on my palms too much though.
  5. I know I am gripping too hard. But I was seriously scared when I rode back from the bike shop in peak hour. I've not felt like that for like.... Forever. Was awesome on the way home this morning though. I was singing to myself and having a ball. I love this motorcycling business caper! Why did I wait till I was 36 to do this!?!?!!??
  6. Chill out, relax and don't worry about the cats to much. If you tense up to much you stop the bike from doing what it needs to do. If you are relaxed you will be able to react much better when those cats try to kill you.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hold on with your legs and suport your upper body with your stomach muscles.Use your hands to push and pull the bars.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Lot's of ideas being thrown at you now!

My suggestion is to flap your arms (elbows in and out) it will help you loosen your arms, and your grip.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. i know a great exercise to strengthen your wrists
    • Funny Funny x 3

10. All cats are to be killed as two of them together lead to kittens and we all know what should happen to kittens
  11. Yes. If you collect enough of them, you have sufficient pelts to make a lovely pair of soft fluffy slippers to put on when you get home from riding in winter.
    • Agree Agree x 2

12. If you are seeing pink elephants I would suggest less whiskey
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Most of the cats on the freeway around my way are big, black and the size of some small minivans. If you're not doing 110ks or better, they can pounce on you and rip your throat out before you know it (Like you see on the nature shows where the lioness drags the gazelle to the ground). Fortunatley they only prowl around dawn or dusk
  14. Grip the bars loosely and use your legs to grab onto the bike.

It's probably a combo of gripping to hard, putting weight on the bars, and new gloves. New gloves only hurt for the first 4 days though.

15. I think your comments about new gloves (also poorly fitting gloves) are right on the money.

New gloves should be quite snug. And be sure to regularly wriggle your hands in them to ensure no creases which can cause pressure points and subsequent pain.

If gloves are too loose, they bunch up - again, causing pressure points and discomfort.

Maybe slide your butt forward a little, and try getting your shoulders back a bit.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. My hands and feet used to go tingley/numb in the early days. Body must adapt cos it stopped happening after a few months
  17. Off to the gym with you and build up your core strength!
    Or ride enough to get bike fit. Or both.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. My thoughts from my experience agree with other comments, leaning too much on the bars and gripping too tight. Use your legs to grip the bike and core strenght to hold yourself up. Keep your hands light on the bars, you'll also find the bike handles better that way. Also light or poorly fitting gloves can add to tingling, but leather gloves do stretch from enough riding and usually will get better. I find mine shing if they get wet, I try to use wet weather gloves if it starts to rain. I usually carry rain gear in a back pack if I commute or go on long rides.
  19. #19 Jabba, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    Pretty sure the problem is gripping and leaning to much on the bars. My core strength is bound to be woeful. The gloves are actually pretty old (my father-in-laws) but really thick, so I don't really have the sensitivity. <p>
    </p> INCORRECT! more whiskey and/or whisky! but probably refrain from riding...
    </p> bad human! bad bad human! So to recap; grip with legs, hold grips looser, use core muscles, flap my arms, watch out for cats both normal and large-enough-to-rip-your-thoat-out-with-one-paw, masturbate more/or less or at least change hands and only drink whisky/ey after riding and before posting on NR... that about cover it? now to stop my chooks from eating the polystyrene planter boxes.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Really I don't think I know that one