Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Only one cylinder or spark plug working ?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by giga, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Hi All,
    I just brought a 2007 GS500F , but feel no much power and torque as expected.

Just wondering if it only has one cylinder working like a 250 bike ?

How can I tell if this is the case without disassemble the spark plug and fairing ?

Idle speed is at 1500RPM stable

2. There are quite a few threads on the GS500 forum about running on 1 cylinder. I suggest you check there as you'll have more luck diagnosing.

It will run like absolute crap if it's only running on 1 cyclinder, it won't rev, it will vibrate like crazy, chew tons of fuel, be hard to start etc.

If you don't have any of these symptoms then it's probably ok, and may just need a service, or maybe you are coming from a more powerful bike and expecting more?

If you are down on power it could be plugs, fuel, crap in the tank clogging the pickup, carbs out of synch, carb float levels not right, carb jets clogged, vacuum problem, petcock etc etc.
  3. Put your hand NEAR each of the exhaust headers after it's been running for a bit