Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Only in America - Cager sues rider he killed

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by dan, Aug 9, 2005.

1. [taken from here...]

"To say that this story at the AMA webiste angered me would be an understatement. This is one of the most outrageous things I've read in quite a while:

"The driver of a Jeep who made a U-turn into the path of a motorcyclist, killing him, is considering suing the estate of the motorcyclist he killed [emphasis mine], according to a newspaper report.

The News-Times in Danbury, Connecticut, quoted lawyer Philip Russell as saying he believes his client, Andrew Guazza, 31, of Beacon, New York, has a 'valid claim' against the estate of the motorcyclist, Larry Pierce, 58, of New Fairfield, Pennsylvania.

On June 8, Guazza pleaded no contest to negligent homicide in Pierce's death, which occurred in 2003 when Guazza made a U-turn in front of Pierce, causing the fatal crash. Pierce was airlifted to a hospital where he was declared dead on arrival.

Guazza suffered injuries in the crash, primarily to his ankle.

Russell said the suit could be based on an allegation that the motorcyclist 'came along unexpectedly at a speed substantially in excess of the posted speed,' the News-Times reported."

Holy cow.

Until such time as Mr. Guazza agrees not to sue Mr. Pierce's estate, I urge anyone in the Beacon, New York area who knows this piece of filth to boycott everything from the company he works for to the restaurants he frequents. Send the message and spread the word. When we allow convicted murderers to further violate their victims' families through the civil court system, the fabric of society receives another rip."

2. not enuff lawyers have trees fall on them.....
  3. Unbelievable , how dare him . The driver is also scum for allowing this parasite to continue with this morbib claim . Now im angry :evil: :evil:
  4. I would like to say only in America, but the trouble is I can see if coming this way as well. It will only take one and then all hell will break loose.
  5. Any Magistrate/ judge worth pissing on will throw this **** and his **** of a lawyer out on their ears, or better yet throw them in jail for wasting the Court's time. I hope the rider's family counter sue for, well, anything they like since it appears to be open season on stupid litigation.
  6. Fascinating. Another driver blaming everyone else for their stupidity because they leave their brain on the bedside table when they get into a car.

And the judge will let this one through. It seems to be a judge all notion of common sense needs to be lacking.
  7. It may be just a tactic to stop the rider's family suing him.

I was reading this blog of a bloke who works as a waiter in New York. He said on a nightly basis someone threatens to sue the restaurant for some imagined slight.

And yes, scarily with the new visa law changes for the states, I'm thinking about going over there for a year to work :0
  8. When is someone going to sue the legal system for allowing stupid lawsuits?

How about?:

1) If you do something wrong, you get taken to court by the government and fined/banged-up.

2) If you have been hurt, you're awarded money from a government fund. The government will then pursue the individual/company responsible for your pain (see above).

This should get rid of the current 'pay me, I'm stupid' attitude as you'd get the same amount of money if you'd been run-over by a garbage-man or a film-star.

9. Unbelievable.

The opportunity that this presents for him to be charged with bringing a vexatious and frivolous lawsuit is huge.

As is the likelihood that the victim's family can ADD this piece of stupidity to the list of things for which they can sue this moron.

Bring it on, I say.
  10. Speaking as the manager of a small business... in general people have often found that relying on common sense as a defence hasn't gotten one far in defending cases.

There have been many workders who've (to use your comment) 'left thier brain on thier bedside table' and have still won thier court cases...

I would only expect this sort of litigation around road incedents to increase in future *sigh*
  11. According to this article not only is the driver suing the motorcyclist but he only received a 6-month suspended sentence and a $750 fine. Perhaps he's suing the mtorcyclist to get his 750 bucks back :shock: