Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Online scam - Someone advertising my bike.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by fekkinell, Jun 28, 2012.

1. I'm not quite sure where to post this. So feel free to move it if needs be.

I was just searching Google for a replacement stator for my CBR929 when I stumbled across an ad with familiar wording. I clicked the link and discovered that someone is using, word for word, an ad that I wrote last year when I was thinking of selling the bike. They're even using a picture that I took of it sitting in the backyard of my old house.

So beware... there are dodgy farkers out there!!

SCAM - http://www.muamat.com/classifieds/-...s/6210423_2000_Honda_CBR929_RR_Fireblade.html

Old Ad - https://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=118558#.T-uW7XDrZ0w

Cheeky bastards!!
  2. Sus looking website... Screams Scam.
  3. ask em if they'd consider a swap
  4. I know ebay allow you to 'use' an ad as a template, could that be the case here?
  5. I have used an ad as a template on ebay, just changed a few things to suit.
  6. Not sure if this is a scam or a outo post of some kind. They date they were uploaded are only one day appart. Original was posted on the 18th of Jan and other on the 19th so it might just be that you advertised someware ells and it got reposted here?
  7. Unless anyone knows different, I suspect that muamat.com isn't even a proper site. There was a whole industry for a while in copy pasting material from other websites to create internet business directories, fake classifieds sites and the like. Often the information was originally legit, but it's now out of context and usually out of date. The idea was usually to create the impression that your listings were genuine and your website drew plenty of traffic, which you could then use to sell ad space.

I suspect the dodgey ****ers here are the site themselves, and there is no seller.
  8. it must be your ad.... neither of them can spell 'starter'!

9. Are you joking? :-s
    • Like Like x 2
  10. I'm usually reluctant to say this, but report it to the cops.
    It's an easy bust - they might be interested.
  11. I say respond to the add and see if you can go & have a look at it!
  12. I like the , right above FireBlade, Scam Warning. Har.
  13. You could always test it, fill out the "Contact this user" form and see if you get an email from yourself?