Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Online route planning/mapping

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by campag, May 8, 2009.

1. I know someone asked about this ages ago and I remember seeing a link, but search has not been my friend on this one so far.

Anyone using good online tools to plan routes for touring and got some links?

I'm using www.mapmyride.com but it's bicycle focused and struggles with 500+km distances. Need something that won't bog down the pc and is a little more user friendly and motor transport oriented

thanks in advance!
  2. thankee very much. I'l check it out on the weekend.
  3. google maps

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?ie=U...-google-gm&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=google maps

once this opens and loads go to the top left side and click on "get directions" .... put in the start town and then the end town..

click go..

from there it'll plot the rout with a blue line.. now... this blue line you can grab and move if you want to go a slightly different way... its fantastic!!

gives you distances etc, you can't go wrong.. travel the world if you want
  4. except the fact you can only plot about 24 points or so. this includes minor points, so with 10 main destinations, and then some route adjustments to get off the main roads, it ends up failing to be able to plot the route :?
  5. :shock:

well... last time i used it.. i had a start point, finish point and one adjustment in the middle to make it point number 3...

that took me across Vic... im not into micro management..
  6. http://www.everytrail.com/

Its more for putting your routes in after you have done the trip, but you should be able to do searches for other peoples ones
  7. Another option:

Click on "Get Directions" and enter start, finish points and "add a stop" if the most direct route isn't what you want.

Not sure of what limitations there are.
  8. Even at 200kms a tank, that's enough to get across Australia :wink:

Am a HUGE maps.google fan :cool:
  9. ^^ Same. My only complaint is I prefer to take backroads and its not always detailed enough to include them, now does it distinguish road surface. Of course, in that regard you can, at least two thirds of the time, switch to satellite and it'll give you a good enough picture to distinguish the sort of road surface present, which makes the service even better!

Goddam maps are fun! I'm sure I'm not alone here in wasting much time pouring over them and imagining tours...