Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Online purchases - from Australia or overseas?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by middo, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Cheapest online retailer I can find.

29 vote(s)
  2. An Aussie retailer - because I feel that I will get better service / delivery / price.

2 vote(s)
  3. An Aussie retailer - because I want to support local stores.

7 vote(s)
  4. Overseas - because I feel I will get better service / delivery / price

12 vote(s)
  5. Overseas - because I feel that local suppliers are crap.

6 vote(s)
  1. The GST thread got me thinking. When you buy online, do you buy from the cheapest supplier, or do you choose Australian or O/S suppliers for a reason? Discuss

2. Aussie Retailer because I want to support local business AND i do not want to wait too long for the item to come to me.
    These days aussie online stores are very competitive with overseas stores, in many cases it's actually cheaper to buy inside Australia when you take postage into account.
  3. Most of the time, I do try to buy local. I recently took delivery of a 675 dollar snare drum from the US with $109 postage. At just under $800, it was $400 cheaper than getting it from a local store.
    The trade off with that is I waited 15 days.
  4. I will buy what ever is cheaper.
  5. I like to support local businesses, however if it is ridiculously cheaper to buy overseas...including postage, I'm happy to wait for it.
  6. Me too.
  7. Generally I'll browse the aussie online stores as prices are decent, the shipping is often free and it's a good way to give support while not having to leave the house. The only time I'll often buy from overseas is through fleabay.
  8. Depends. Cost is the most important thing to me, but if it's not a major difference I'll go local. Not out of any loyalty to local business, just for speed.
  9. Yeah me too, this seems to be especially true with bike stuff. But I tend to keep an eye out for sales at local businesses, this tends to bring the price down to about on par or sometimes cheaper.
    Also I buy from big warehouses like AMX, their prices are always very good and you can always get at least 5% knocked off the advertised price.
  10. I don't always go on cheapest price, for me it's often more about getting the best possible quality (at the cheapest price).

This is the biggest failing of most Aussie retailers, who generally only sell stuff made by other people so there's no real reason to buy from them. The online retailers I like are those who actually manufacture the products, and offer very good technical advice/service.

A good example would be the fork springs I bought from a manufacturer in the US, who also provided detailed instructions not just on installation but also how to set them up. I've not come across any Aussie sites which offer the same level of service - and yet this is something I'm prepared to pay for. Oh and no, talking to someone in a store is not the same thing - since for all I know they could just be making shit up to make a sale.

Another niche missed by Aussie retailers - selling stainless steel bolts as complete sets for particular bikes. Shouldn't be hard to do, but I just bought a set from the US for the GPX (which is hardly rare) because I couldn't find anyone in this country that offered something similar (and I'm not wasting my time trying to work out the sizes of all the screws, washers, etc. that I need). I'm still chasing a full set of bolts for my Katana (which unfortunately wasn't sold in the US), but looks like I might have to be ordering those from the UK (where I can at least get a set for a GSX750E).
  11. This, although that postage thing can be a real biatch on ebay sometimes, if you've had a couple of shandies and not paying attention.
  12. I'll support Aussie, when they can support me by having the cheapest prices, or if there is a stupid rule like a sticker on a helmet that I need.

However, there is one online retailer overseas that seems to have everything much cheaper. If purchasing only one item, and the item is not of high value, it may not work out to be much cheaper, but usually if you have multiple items to buy, then your savings go through the roof!
  13. One way to get around scandalous overseas shipping prices from ebay retailers is to ship to one of those mail forwarding sites.

You can have your item shipped to your own U.S. postal address (usually shipping within the U.S is free anyways or very minimal), then for a very small fee of $5 p/ item, (or monthly fee if you do it regularly), you can pay actual postage prices from UPS or USPS to Auz.

It's great since a lot of ebay retailers may not even offer overseas shipping.

I personally use Reship.com :grin:
  14. They any good?

I've considered using one of those reshipping companies for ebay items that won't ship here, but since it's usually very delicate optical/scientific equipment I'm after I've always been worried about adding yet another opportunity for someone to break it.
  15. I've bought online from both Australian retailers and from overseas. I'm prepared to pay a modest premium to buy Australian but not a ridiculous mark up (definition of ridiculous may vary dependent on product, mood and current bank balance). Stuff like helmets and electrical goods also have legal considerations.

My main beef, though, with Aussie businesses with a web presence, is that many of their websites are shithouse and a lot don't have a proper online store, requiring you to contact them for a quote, product availability etc. Sod that, I'll go to someone who's easier to buy from.

What I've tended to find is that those who do have an on-line store or who use Ebay as their shop front also tend to sell at prices that are reasonably competitive with O/S suppliers and so are more likely to get my business.

So yes, I'll deal with Australian businesses who make a reasonable effort to deserve my hard-earned. I will not prop up companies whose business model appears to be decades out of date.

Oh yeah, and I've generally found O/S customer service, especially from the US but to a lesser extent Europe and Asia, shows up Oz CS for the crap that it often is.
  16. I like revzilla.com they review most of their products and are cheap (products & delivery)
  17. I looked at a few different reshipping companies and Reship.com seemed to be the best in terms of pricing and services they offer.

If you are shipping delicate items, you can even have them take a picture of the package once they receive it for $1, and they will state what condition it is in when they receive it, etc.

I started using them because I was able to purchase a brand new pair of Alpinestars GP Plus Gloves off of eBay for less than $79, but the seller would not ship to Aus.
  18. I try to buy off a local shop. I give them a 10% buffer. I consider that fair to sniff and smell.
    Will say I usually don't pay retail.. a lot of time I get cost. And the local shops still cant get close to internet some internet prices with me paying that......hello mr importer

If I have to get on the net then it's cheapest wins.
  19. Reshipping, what a great niche business idea!
  20. Sounds good, thanks for that. :)

Always annoying when I see stuff on ebay which I know is worth $10,000+, but is selling for less than $100 - and yet they won't ship to Australia (or insist on using a postal option that'd cost me $500+ in shipping). Not that I really need to be buying stuff just because it's cheap, but what else is money for :LOL:.