Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

One word: Tyre Pressure

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by thermal, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Ok, that's two words...

Been on the bike for about 8 months and when I got the bike, I was told 'oil and typre pressure'.

The last week or so, the handling on the bike has felt a bit weird. Went for a run along le boulevard today and I could tell something wasn't right.

I was -12 recommended psi on the front and -6 on the back.

Any noobs like me who haven't taken the time to check your pressure, do it.
  2. Also I recommend a handy hand-held digital tyre pressure gauge with a light. I picked one up from Aldi for I think like 13 bucks last year and it's extremely handy, makes the job easier.
  3. Yep.

I checked mine after getting some advice at the learners practice today. 110kPa instead of 200 on the front and 160 instead of 225 on the rear.

The difference was night and day after fixing it, bike felt like it was on rails.

Don't know why I didn't check it on the bike, I check it weekly in the car...
  4. Wow. I bet your ride feels 100% better :)
  5. Felt like riding through 1 metre high mud before, those were some bloody dangerous pressures I had going. Good thing I got told to check it before something bad happened.
  6. Fark dude, lucky you're not dead
  7. The funny thing is the bike still handled better than a few others that I've ridden.
  8. It's good that you've had these experiences, because, if nothing else, now you know what low tyre pressure feels like, and the next time you feel that, you'll know what it is.

Just as a general rule, low pressure at the back will make the bike feel loose and sloppy, like a waterbed full of jelly. Low front pressure will make the steering heavier, slower, less precise, and most of all - the bike will stand up and want to go straight. If you've got to hold the thing down to get around a corner, check the front tyre pressure.

Also - bike tyres (good ones) are often not all that airtight. They have what you might call a slow leak. It pays to check the tyres every time you add fuel. Either get your own gauge, or pick a servo close to home that has a good gauge and go there as a matter of routine.
  9. I've started doing it every 10 days now. Might make it weekly.
  10. TGM, glad to read you checked the tyres!! So it wasnt weight as you thought!! Next step suspension? and as Doug said, if you're going to tweak, make sure one step at a time riding the same roads and conditions to 'feel' whats right for you. Safe riding!! And check those tyres every week and as suggested, easier to do when youre filling up, and a regular place so have consistancy with gauge use.
  11. As a new rider here are a few basic tips I have.

1. It only takes 30 seconds to look and run your hands over your tyres to look for any damage before you ride. So there really is no excuse not to do it.

2. Know what your tyre pressue is suposed to be.

3. Buy are tyre pressue gauge. Even one of those pen shaped telescopic ones that will fit into a jacket pocket so you can have one with you all the time

4. Be cautious of Servo gauges they can be notoriously inaccruate so as suggested before locate a good one and stick to it.

5. Buy a tyre pump. I went got a pump that runs of your battery. it has it's own pressure gauge as well. It is good for both the cars and the bike.

6. Enjoy riding with a little peace of mind.
  12. Yep, i was anal about checking tyres every time i filled up. As long as they were within 5psi i didnt bother filling them up, unless i was off for some cornering fun, then i made sure they were right.
  13. +1 to a tyre pressure gauge and a pump in the garage. I just use a digital gauge and my floor pump for the pushie, which is good enough to top up the 1-5psi that the tyres lose in between rides.
  14. What melbourne mick said servo pumps are a pain,some you cant even hook on to valves,was confronted with this nearly all the time,bought a pressure gauge and use my portable compressor to inflate tires instead of waiting for cage man or woman at servo: Different tire sizes need diff pressures.
  15. If you only need to top up 1-5 psi between rides a quality bicycle hand pump will suffice. They will blow up a tyre from flat too but it does take a bit of work.

And not wishing to be picky but tyre pressure is two words not one :LOL:
  16. If that doesnt work try your mouth
  17. That won't work right. You're supposed to set them cold. Hot air is just ...
  18. There's your problem right there. Kilopascals leak out of your tyres much faster than psi.

If governments are going to mandate technology with the aim of improving safety, they could consider tyre pressure monitors ahead of ABS (although the two are not mutually exclusive). They're starting to be offered as both factory accessories and aftermarket as well, and are getting cheaper.

The simple convenience, along with fuel consumption, tyre wear and handling benefits are all added plusses even before the potential for crashing comes into it. Better awareness of the issue would be a bonus too.

It seems to me that a simple and cost effective safety campaign for anything on tyres could involve some advertisements and roadside pressure checks and top-ups. Tyre pressure monitors and regular gauges should also be exempt from GST, if they already aren't.

A (car) survey by NRMA a few years back came up with a figure of around 80% of tyres being under inflated. That's a fair whack of unnecessary tyre wear, fuel consumption and accident risk that could be pretty easily addressed.

Maybe pointing out that it would reduce carbon emissions at not even a small cost, but a net saving for the win would get more action at the moment.
  19. Yeah, point, but why encourage the b@stards to add more regulations at all? Aren't there enough already? From where I'm sitting, every additional regulation is just one more thing for a cop to book you for.

I think this whole stupid 'rules will save us' mindset has gone way too far already. What should we do with children? Teach them to watch where they put their feet, or fine them for descending a flight of steps without stopping at the top and having a look? What should you do with drivers? Teach them to pay attention or fine them for each time they remove one hand from the wheel for more than 20 seconds?
  20. It would be OK if it was brought in for new vehicle compliance. I don't mean make everything already on the road now having to have it. That can be encouraged with campaigns and incentives. Insurance companies and bodies like The NRMA (and their other state equivalents) would surely be all for it, as should anyone else who is better off as a result. Oil companies and tow operators mightn't be so keen, but then the latter in Vic are picking up good dollars lately for easy callouts when people have their vehicle confiscated for Hooning.