Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

one week off my L's and i have my first ride to the hospital

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by black666, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Well the good thing is im ok but it could have been so much worse... i was heading down goodwood rd (for those that know adelaide) and travelling in the inner lane (2 lanes each direction) around 50-60. i saw a car up ahead on my left waiting to turn onto the road so i slowed down a bit ...she came out and turned into the outer lane next to mine - so i assumed she had seen me (my first mistake) and i continued at the same speed to go past her.. as i was about 10 meters from her she changed into my lane with no indication..i braked HARD - locked it up and tried to go around (thankfully no oncoming traffic) i hit her front drivers side and glanced of... felt like i was going to stack it - some part of my brain kicked in and i let go of the bike - i hit my side very hard and rolled and the bike went straight into a park bench (lucky not into a pedestrian!). i got up of the road and realised my legs were ok as i was standing. i had allot of people come over which was great and the poor woman who hit me was hysterical - i think she thought she had killed me... i went into shock but by the time the ambos got there i was calming down.. anyway long story short all i got was a strained hip and ankle and some road rash.. was very scary as it could have been allot worse very very easily. when i eventually do get back on (bike is stuffed) im never riding in rush hour again and never without some more gear on! my top half was fine thanks to the jacket, helmet and gloves..bottom half coped it by being an idiot wearing jeans and sneakers..

2. good to hear your ok, thanks for sharing. I admit with the heat lately I have tossed up whether to go out in ALL the gear for a short ride, stories like yours help me stay on the straight and narrow safety wise. I hope your back on 2 wheels shortly.

3. Good sayings:

"I'd rather sweat than bleed"

"ATGATT" = "All the gear, all the time"

Skin grafts don't sound like fun to me :p

4. thats it - i wish i was wearing a back protector with a kidney belt - thats where i coped most of it - would have helped allot.

5. Glad you're ok. So who's paying?
    Might be time to change your username too :LOL:

6. ahh bad luck man.

ive only had a few close calls in my two months on the road.

good that you are (mostly) ok tho :]

7. oh no fear its totally her fault so she will be paying - even cop said that to me... how do i change username anyway? old scooter had 666 number plate and was black...would you believe the zzr has 777 and i still crashed it! :roll: :LOL:

8. cheers - yeah ive had lots of similair calls too - this one was just unlucky i guess - should have slowed more

9. Re: one week off my L's and i have my first ride to the hosp

Glad to hear you're well, but please take on board the lessons you are giving to the rest of us. Aside from protective clothing you make mention of assuming you were seen by the car driver, sometimes no matter how careful we are on our placement in traffic the idiots will never see you no matter what. So awareness is your next best thing to keep training, be aware of everything that can go on in the midst of traffic.

The fact you post your errors in judgement shows courage, so use that courage to get back on the bike when you feel fit enough to do so and take heart that you're now armed with better knowledge to be safer in rush hour. It was a close call by the sounds of it, I'd hate to see you lose faith and self confidence when returning to your ride.

10. glad to hear you are ok mate.

sad thing is no matter what you do some car drivers just dont see/look for bikes, I was a postie for about 2 years and the number of posties that get hit on the road is just incredible, even in all the hi vis clothing and huge hi vis panniers making the bike almost as big as a car!

11. "Assumption" is the cause of most stuff-ups.

Never assume anything.

12. Glad you're OK.

Always expect the other driver to do the unexpected and you'll be around to be an old fart like me.

Take care out there.

13. What about assuming you hadn't been seen? :p

14. wow! scarey stuff!

Good to hear that this woman stopped after she'd hit you - i'm not supprised to hear about some1 changing lanes with no indication, that seems to be happening so often these days, every day I see it, it's ridiculous. I don't know when drivers decided they didn't ever need to indicate anymore...is it a sign of increased laziness in general society?

Just remember what you've probably been told before many times, always position yourself on the road so that you can avoid accidents, and get out of potentially dangerous situations.

ANYWAY glad you're OK!!!! Live & Learn, eh? :)

15. Good call Zealt

Alway assume they can't see you

16. Sorry to hear about your crash mate.

As FeeFee said, you're very lucky this lady didn't do a runner. If she did, you'd be paying for your own repairs, and wanka cops might charge you for negligent driving.

As far as riding in traffic goes, don't be intimidated. It's pretty much unavoidable at the end of the day, unless a neutron bomb has gone off and you're the only one left standing.

Put simply, don't ride in someone's blind spot. And if you do find yourself in someone's blind spot, move out of their blind spot immediately, either by braking, or accelerating until they have noticed you or you have passed them.

Unfortunately, there's a few dozen lessons to learn about motorcycling, and we all inevitably learn some of them the hard way.

Don't be put off motorcycling, and for crying out loud, wear all the gear all the time!

17. So glad you are okay - it sounds like a really horrible experience.

I was shopping for jeans with kevlar on the weekend (I am still on my L's so haven't bought everything yet), being of 'average' height (165cm) and a size 8 the jeans were all about 25cm too long (where are all these long skinny women hiding?). I didn't buy anything. $240 for a pair of jeans and then pay someone to take them up - seems outrageous.

After reading your story I am heading straight back to the bike shop....regardless of the cost I am more precious.

Thank you for sharing.

Remember the good times riding - how great it feels when you go from fumbly riding in a car park to being out on the road & gaining confidence and getting your P's...and try to enjoy riding again.

:)

18. yeah im glad she stopped - seems allot of good people were around that day i had lots of people come up and help me - one of the store owners even put my bike inside his shop for me... its funny but i actually (almost) feel really bad for the lady that i hit - she was so freaked out by it..i was just laying ther trying to get my self in order ... ambos should have given her the Epi-pen - she was hysterical ! :shock: its also good to hear some encouragement from the more experienced here as most of my friends (understandably) want me to turf the riding thing altogether... i like it to much though - and besides i would feel like i was letting fear get the better of me if i never rode again... certainly puts it all in perspective though! :grin:

19. good stuff black666

get back on that horse

sounds like that little prang has already made you a more experienced rider

20. Your story is definitely a warning on two counts. First, all the gear, all the time! Second, never, ever assume that another driver has seen you, or that even if they have seen you they won't cut you off or try to change lanes on top of you. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I can't count the number of times I've had somebody try to change into my lane without looking or indicating - and that is when I'm driving the car! The difference is that then you honk your horn, swerve a bit, and maybe brake. On a bike, as you've discovered, the consequences are far more serious. You are much more vulnerable, and you are a lot harder to see.

It is not that drivers are stupid or blind. I think that it has a lot to do with search patterns. Most of what we see never makes it up into our conscious mind. It gets filtered out. If you don't believe me, try to picture the ceiling of your local supermarket. You are looking for corn flakes, or milk, or whatever, and you never notice the ceiling - even though at times it takes up a third of your visual field.

When we are driving a car we are searching for other cars, or trucks, or traffic signals. We filter out most of what is around us to spare attention for those things. We also tend to follow patterns in the traffic. But bikes are small, and they don't move in the same flow as the rest of the traffic. It isn't surprising that we even have an acronym for Sorry Mate I Didn't See You (SMIDSY).

I haven't been riding that much longer than you, and I had my first off a week ago. Not as serious as yours, but entirely my fault. There will be people here who rant at the driver for being stupid or for not looking, but there will also be people who tell you that you should ride as if every car is out to get you and position yourself accordingly. I try never to be beside a car unless I absolutely have to. I drop back, or accelerate to make sure that I am in front of the car and out of their path should they drift across the lane. The only time I stay alongside a car is when it is bumper to bumper and moving at a crawl, and even then I try to me sure that I'm slightly in front of the driver's window so they can see me without moving their head.

Good luck with getting the bike fixed up, or if it is written off then good luck getting a new bike. :) You'll hear a lot of people say "bikes can be repaired or replaced - the main thing is that you are OK". It is true. The main thing is that you are OK. And next time wear all the gear, so you'll be even OKer.

(What? Who said OKer isn't a word?)