Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

One vs Two Pipes

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by V8cressida, Apr 18, 2010.

1. G'day,

Soon will be in the market for a twin in the 1000cc range,
    I have noticed a few VTR1000f bikes have been converted to a single pipe.

what effect, good or bad does this have.

2. Generally, an exhaust system that merges all the cylinders improves exhaust scavenging.
    Production bikes being what they are, compromises are made, whether it be for noise, ease of manufacture, looks etc and this is why a lot of bikes have twin systems.
    I know on the V4 Hondas, it is much simpler and easier (and therefore cheaper)to design a twin, two into one exhaust due to space constraints, and that's probably why the original is that way.

Regards, Andrew.
  3. So what you are saying is that a twin cylinder engine with 1 exhaust vs 2 may have a perceivable performance gain? (assuming correctly tuned).

4. once the exhaust gas has collected, it can go into as many pipes as you want, within reason. between the cylinder heads and the collector is where the real performance gains are. after the collector it's simply a case of flow/backpressure/etc that dictates performance and how loud the system is.

just my $0.02
  5. As I understand it back pressure is the key to where you want the power in the rev range and the different systems are better suited one or the other, single for top end duals for midrange. I am no expert mind you.
  6. There power gain from either system will be so small that you wont even notice. Besides, you will never use all the bikes capability, that is unless you're Casey Stoner.

Get what you like better.
  7. ^^^^^^ wot 'e said.
  8. ... even if you're Casey Stoner.

9. Hey Sinner, long time mate !
    Howz the R1 treating ya ? ;)
  10. What's cracking Nickers, hope all is well. Yeah the R1 is treating me real well.
    I've been lurking but haven't been posting though, been too busy on the R1 forum
  11. Yes, but does it affect the sound? Does a single ruin the sexy twin note?

12. Single pipes make a bike cheaper to crash!

... if you choose the right side...