Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

one piece or two

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Daz07, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Weighing up the pros and cons of one piece or two piece leathers,will be buying soon and can't make up my mind.
    Any thoughts fellow riders. :-k

2. Are you going to do anything but track riding?

If yes, get 2-piece. You'll feel like a dill wandering around on a tour being unable to take your jacket off.
  3. point taken Loz, but don't most two piece leathers have a zipper that attaches the jacket too the pants.....might feel like a bigger dill asking people to unzip me. :LOL:
  4. ooops, snap Daz.
    What's your main riding? Commuting, track days, racing? My needs are 'urban protection' and a monthly track day. I've only ever had two piece and that's what my new custom will be. I wouldn't have the discipline to be ATGATT with a one piece as it's just too hot filtering and splitting in WA's summer heat. A two piece allows me to wear a textile jacket with leather pants when it gets dead hot. The racer's will tell us the suitability or otherwise of a 360 zipper for race applications.
  5. I was talking to the guy at tiger angel about this and he said one piece are track only. apparently they are designed to hold you hunched over in a racing position. (or at least his are)
  6. It takes all of 5 seconds to zip my 2piece together. As others have said, if you're going to use it on the track, a 360 degree zip is advised for a 2piece. If you will ONLY wear these leathers on the racetrack, might as well get the 1piece.
  7. I too commute sometimes, aswell as the odd weekend ride and maybe the odd track day in the near distant future,as for racing dont think so. My needs are also urban protection. As for heat yes, it gets hot in summer so your point about being able to wear a textile jacket with leather pants is a valid and good point. Thankyou.
  8. Are you planning off-the-peg or custom? You might see from my other post https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54708&highlight= that I'm busy with a custom 2-piece myself. I can't recommend 'em yet cause I don't have the finished product but I'm v happy with the treatment so far.
  9. Probably of the rack, thinking of buying from the states.
  10. Yep, you'll get some good bargains over there with this exchange rate. Have a look at newenough.com. Look at a couple of the Ozzy outlets on ebay as well. I'd send you the links but I'm having an IT melt down :(
  11. Daz, I've been procrastinating over getting leathers myself over textile pants and in all the deliberating pros & cons agree with everything that DC states above.......you do not want or need a one piece.

The only thing I can add is if you are considering the USA be careful of sizing.....and warranty. Bit of a biatch sending it back there for bad stitching or whatever :(
    I'm actually thinking of just getting leather bottoms to wear with a textile jacket.....then again maybe textile pants...or....a two piece leather kit.. :cry:

I'm not indecisive, I'm not......am I ???
  12. You might make some new friends too. :)
  13. Definitely 2 piece.
  14. :LOL:

yep another vote for 2 piece
  15. It might be worth checking with Motorcycling Australia if there are any changes to protective gear rules in the pipeline.

In some countries, two piece (even zip together) are not acceptable for track use. It would be a bit of a bugger to shell out on a two piece, only to find you need a one piece as well in a couple of years if you want to go out on the track :( .

I can't see a one piece really being practical for regular use on the road though, and the general awkwardness might encourage you to squid when you really shouldn't.
  16. Good point about track have to look into it, Thanks.
  17. have you looked at collins leathers. they are regularly on e-bay with good priced leathers.
  18. I would recommend a two piece definitely. I have a one piece however I only use it when I ride the ranges and are getting low enough to require sliders. At other times I wear jeans and dririder. If I had a two piece however I would probably wear it a lot more for everyday riding.