Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

One persons view.....

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Toecutter, Dec 11, 2007.

1. I've copied this over from the Ulysses Forum. I've met the author, and solved a few of the worlds problems over a cold beer a couple of times. He's an ex copper, big hulk of a man, and he and his wife have four bikes betwen them at last count. So they love motorcycling.....here's his tale in follow up to a post made here by Carolf_au last week.

Today was a particularly sad day for me, and a lot of other people. Why? We attended the funeral of David “Guido†Giacca, our friend from Pro Honda, who died last week at Mt Cotton.

I led the ride of 50+ bikes from Brisbane to Stanthorpe, his home town, where we joined with hundreds of other mourners for a full Catholic service. For these locals, the service was doubly sad as one month ago, they had farewelled Guido’s father in a similar service. None were expecting to be back so soon.

I managed to hold up during the service, the parade of bikes in front of the hearse to the burial plot and the final internment. But as I watched his aged and distraught mother performing the final act of casting flowers and soil on the coffin I started to cry. No parent should have to bury their own children. This I know from experience.

Then Guido’s partner and son – hands clasped tightly to each other – stepped forward. And as they did the same simple and touching ceremony, I broke and sobbed out loud. Hardly anyone noticed – all were doing the same.

Why am I posting this? One reason is to share with my friends I suppose and thereby lessen my grief. That's a bit selfish of me.

But also, and more importantly, to make the point that we often think that if we kill ourselves on our bikes, so what? We’re doing something we enjoy and so long as it is quick it mightn’t be a bad way to go. If we do it without taking anyone else out it is just ourselves we hurt. What’s the problem? Well today, that problem, forever in the back of my mind, was spelled out with a clarity seldom seen.

Thanks for listening and please be careful out there.

2. That's the bit we pretend doesn't exist.

3. The potential grief thrust upon those closest to me is what pulls me back into line when I start riding stupid.

Thanks for posting this, Toecutter.

4. Wow. Cold shiver. Thanks for posting.

I think everybody needs to be pulled back into line every now and again. Remembering the people that would be devastated if you're gone is one very easy way to do that.

5. Andrew and Cheryl bought the bikes they rode from Guido in the last couple of months. Guido was led out by a Blackbird and CB1300S. It was an eerie thing to watch the cortege of motorcycles leave that church. It is an event I don't want to have to watch again for a very very long time.

My husband and I talked to Andrew and Cheryl on the way home, to share a couple of good stories about Guido. Back in Brisbane we all gathered to have a coffee, and to share more stories, half of us expecting Guido to walk through the door.

So I share my stories here, in the hope that it may slow some of you down, maybe rethink getting on the bike when it just doesn't feel right, take it a little slower on a corner, maybe save a mother saying goodbye to her son or daughter. This is the first time we've had to say goodbye to a friend, and we know that he was doing what he loved, and that brings a little smile when I think that, but then I remember that I'll never get another hug from the cuddly guy, and I hug my husband a little closer.

Ride safe, everyone of you.

Carol

6. Guido will be sadly missed and fondly remembered. He will be riding with us always and thinking that will put a smile on my face :) The Service was deeply moving for both myself, my wife and all who attended. The procession of bikes and Guidos helmet brought tears to many. It's going to be strange at ProHonda for quite some time as all of us will be expecting the big fella to walk out and say hello or do something silly :) I am glad I knew the man and I am proud to call him mate. He was a fellow rider and a champion of a man - he was GUIDO :)