Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

One on one rides?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Sweeris, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Generally what do you do on one on one rides? I am wondering what people normally do on the one on one rides. ie. go on back road and pratice techniques or jus plan a route and jus simply do a ride on the route and get tips and pointes on the way. (Im very new rider)

2. It's up to you really.

If you're keen on working on techniques, a session in a carpark can be awesome for skills like tight cornering, braking and swerving. If you want to go out and ride the twisties somebody can show you the way there and give you some tips after following you around at your own pace. Or you can just go out with one or more people, tag along for a group ride and gasbag at the pub at lunchtime.
  3. you can do it with n instructor (tutor) $50 an hour I think it is.

you could get cones o w/ever and set up a slalom and do your counter steering, feels great.
  4. I've fond that having someone behind you watching your technique in corners is invaluable. Learnt / reinforced alot of things from this. Think it was Cambell that got my corner line alot better. Now I need someone to follow me to develop the way I lean off bike.
  5. What Loz said. :)

What you need to practice or the areas where you feel you need help is where you will focus. If someone goes to advise and help you then it'll be on the things you want advice on. :)

If you don't know where you lack, get an experienced rider to watch you in a few situations and they can offer suggestions on the next priority for practice. :)

I will add that as a learner, it is a great learning experience for you to simply watch an experienced rider ride then hear their thoughts on your riding as well as their explaination of why they ride the way they do. Don't be afraid to sing out and ask someone to go for a spin and watch you if you want some help, it's a terrific benefit so take advantage of the resources here. :)
  6. Thanks for all the replies. I think now once I got get my bike im leaning to getting advice and someone to look at how I ride. It sounds very good to have someone access you on how you ride and where I need improvements.
  7. get a spots bike and you will pick up leaning off much better it will feel natural doing it rather then doing it on a bike where you are sitting more up right
  8. I don't see why. I have seen folks happily hanging off the side of a ZZR250. :)
  9. Yeah, go and watch the guys racing the naked class at Winton this weekend, they'll be hanging it right out there.

10. happily yes, is there any thing natural feeling about it i personally dont think so, ride a sports with low clip ons and lean off the bike then do it on a sports tourer style bike with a more up right position, you will be leaning off the side alot easier on the spots then the tourer

because you have to bend your arms alot more, to get into the same position
  11. Feels perfectly natural to me, because I ride a sports tourer. I imagine that's why it feels more natural for you on a sportsbike. What feels natural will depend on what you're used to. It's not the bike, but the rider's preference that makes the difference.

I'm not commenting on what's easier or more effective for maximising corner speed or which bike can lean lower etc..., just that what people are most likely to be comfortable with, is what they already know. Hanging off a sportsbike for me feels uncomfortable because I'm not as comfortable on them to start with. :)
  12. i am basing my comments on the fact that up until recently i rode a gs500f which has more of a touring seating position, to getting on the firestorm for the test ride taking it through some twisties, i nearly always leant off the side of the gs but it didnt feel anywhere near as natural as it does on the storm, moving around is alot smooth when you are reaching forward over the tank

but i guess that could just be me, and i suppose height and other things could have alot to do with it as well
  13. huge carpark is a great idea. An abandoned round about is a nice way to learn to get your knee down...in one direction lol. That said, save the heroics for the track, its ok to fall in a controlled environment, its much safer, falling on a road is damn scary. There are some terrible drivers out there. And riders to boot.