Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

One less magpie

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by RussellDP, Oct 7, 2016.

1. An interesting trip from Shepparton today...

Coming out of Marong I am tucked in behind a car, preparing to overtake. Come around a right hander, doing about 95, about to nail the throttle and notice a pair of magpies sitting on the outside of the corner.

One of them chose to take off into my path. Frankly scared the sh@t out of me. But he wont make that mistake again.

2. Ducks hurt too.

3. I copped a seagull to the shoulder and it damn near knocked the wind out of me...

4. Glad you're ok RussellDPRussellDP. When you wrote this I imagined another Ianonne PI incident haha

• Like Like x 1
  5. Awwwww poor birdie

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Bloody magpie larks are notorious for doing stuff like that too, especially around breeding time.

7. I think that by the time it hit my shoulder it was ...well....let just say ...not a complete magpie anymore

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. This is why motorcyclists have a bad name

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. ewwwwwwww!

Poor magie! Lucky you didn't cop it to the head or you end up like the head gear of a native american Indian chief! I still feel bad that I reduced the skippy Vic pop by one during my visit....

No damage to the bike?

10. just what Collingwood need another one down and the new season hasn't even started :eek::D:eek::D

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Not that I could see last night, it rode fine after maggie, and after a pretty much 3.5 hour straight run last night I was too fatigued to care.

Will check her out this morning before a grampians ride

12. Hope the bike and rider are unscathed but seeing your post RussellDPRussellDP reminds me of this.......

The RMS clean-up crew found over 200 dead crows on the M4 near Lidcombe NSW recently, and there was concern that they may have died from Avian Flu. A Pathologist examined the remains of all the crows, and, to everyone's relief, confirmed the problem was NOT Avian Flu. The cause of death appeared to be from vehicular impacts. However, during analysis it was noted that varying colours of paints appeared on the ...bird's beaks and claws. By analysing these paint residues it was found that 98% of the crows had been killed by impact with motorbikes, while only 2% were killed by cars.
    The RMS then hired an Ornithological Behaviourist to determine if there was a cause for the disproportionate percentages of motorbike kills versus car kills. The Ornithological Behaviourist quickly concluded that when crows eat road kill, they always have a look-out crow to warn of danger. They discovered that while all the lookout crows could shout "Cah", not a single one could shout "bike"

:):):)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. they mate for life so sadly the second bird will now be without its partner for the rest of its days :cry:

but glad you're ok Russ as a headshot from one of those at that speed can be dangerous.

14. How can you tell you rode through dusk? By the aftermath. 20161008_101329.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. damn that's a lot of a*holes

16. I think we took the relatives of some of those guys to NSW with us on the ride home.

17. Worst part was having to stop somewhere to scrub bugs off the visor

• Funny Funny x 2