Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

one for the geeks

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Mar 6, 2009.

1. OK, you I.T. Sherlocks, here's the deal

Acer TravelMate 650 laptop

XP SP3 clean install (formatted to NTFS, etc)

All kosher drivers installed off the Acer website.

Machine boots but neither the touchpad OR the keyboard accept any input

If I F8 and do "last good config" it works, but half the drivers aren't there

I've never installed ALL the correct drivers and had problems, usually it's the other way round.
  2. Did you just update to SP3?

Could try hooking up usb mouse and keyboard, boot normal, check online for updates for updated drivers.
    Uninstall and re-install the drivers through device manager.

Change to linux :p

Geek is sexy
  3. Perhaps there is more than one revision of that laptop model, that could mean different hardware in one revision to another and the need for different drivers?
  4. I have SP3 'streamed' onto my installation disc; it's never been a problem before.

USB Mouse DOES work, incidentally.

I would think that acer.com.au would be the first source for drivers, and the latest thereof.

linux is not an option; DET NSW is an XP Pro environment.

AS for different hardware standards, ZRX, I'm used to that one, specially with IBM/Lenovo, where one model can have up to three or four different video cards, for example. But Acer just list the 650 model and no variations.

Anyhow thanks for the ideas, have to go and pick up Mrs Hornet from her school and take her out for a coffee for her birthday, I'll check back here later.
  5. Yeah, acer would have the latest drivers.
    Did the keyboard and touch pad work before you downloaded the drivers from the acer site?
    Is the touchpad and keyboard actually showing in device manager?

If not could be a connection issues.

Sounds odd, but does this happen when the laptop is on battery or plugged into a charger?