Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

One for our Photographic Connoisseurs

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by VTRBob, Apr 12, 2012.

1. #1 VTRBob, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Ok short story , A few months back I bought a Cannon 1100D ( Rebel T3 )
    With 18/55 and 75/300 lenses.

No problem so far, Have done a real basic Tafe get to know your camera etc, and learnt a fare bit. Well enough for the basics to start playing, mainly portrait stuff.

Now the real question ... Deb has won us a Holiday in Vanuatu, leaving in 3 weeks, and taking advantage of the freebie, I'm crossing one off my bucket list and going to visit the Yasur Volcano on Tanna Island, its almost permanently active =D> .

So my question is , what would be the best settings to capture the Lava etc at dusk as a start point ? We'll prob get two evenings to get this right at most, so looking for a base level to work on :angel:

If it is half as good as this I'll be extremely happy !

Around about 2.00 you'll see the type of still shot I'm aiming for .
  2. If you wanna freeze the action (ooh sparkles), f11, and around 1/200s - 1/500s if you can get the ISO up high enough to do this without too much noise.

For a nice midrange trails/fireworks effect, f18 and 1/10 - 1/30s but you'll need a tripod and manual pre-focus. Put it on continuous drive and go nuts.

...or use the fireworks scene mode.
  3. or you could steal that one and claim it's your's :LOL:

seriously, no technical advice here, just have fun doing it (y)
  4. You need something steady to place the camera on, if not a tripod maybe a monopod, up the iso to around 800-1600 iso, leave the camera in av mode and then adjust the aperture to f8, which is the sweet spot for those lenses in terms of sharpness, then allow for over or under exposure using the exposure compensation adjustment for your camera.
    take shitloads and shitloads of pics.
    Remember that the camera has to be on something sturdy or camera shake will kill your shots.
  5. Best thing you can do now is have a quick read on techniques and go out an practice. Make most of the inevitable mistakes before you get to that "once in a life time" place...

Also +100 to the tripod and get familiar with the bracket (AE8) function on your camera.
  6. Thanks guys, going to have a play with all these settings over the next 2 w/ends to get familiar with how to adjust these settings on the fly without too much thought as to how. lol.
    The instructor we had at Tafe was only a Portrait photographer and was useless when it came to any questions like this, re landscapes etc.

Even if we get only one or two "money shots" I'll be happy :angel:

Now my next questions :

Raw High Quality or Raw Basic ?
    And white Balance ? Set to auto or ?
    Already looking at 2x 32gig SD cards to cater for a lrg No of high res pics .

Sorry for bugging you all, I was hoping to slowly learn the how too with this camera before next xmas and our Fiji cruise, but winning this Holiday has sped the time frame up just slightly.
  7. The hill people in Van think what's your is theirs. Keep your stuff close to you.
  8. Raw high quality always for moments like these when shooting in raw no need to worry about white balance I always have ab on auto

Tapatalking from somewhere, maybe even behind you so look out!!!
  9. Leave it on RAW + JPEG. Memory is cheap and I assure you, that split second moment, once in a life time photo will come up when you don't have the camera in RAW (and later you'll wish you did). Unless your just taking photos of mates getting drunk in the pub RAW is best left on.

If you use RAW half your white balance trouble is solved, but leave it on auto.

Memory cards, NFI. I've got no idea what your like as a photographer, you'll need to find out how many photos you can store on xxGb then work out roughly how many GB you'll need then add on some fat.
  10. If you don't have the space in your luggage for a tripod or a monopod, you can always fill a sock with sand or dirt and put the camera on it and still take great pictures at slow shutter speeds. As some else said, take lots of memory cards, you will fill them aspecially shooting RAW.
  11. 32gb cards? I doubt you'd need more than one for the 1100D.
    Your RAW files will probably end up between 14 and 16mb each.
    Which with my very rough calculations should net you close to 2000 exposures.
    If you can get the cards cheap enough though, go for it :)

And make sure you share the results back on here :p