Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

One Dead Bandit

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Bravus, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Riding from the GC to Brisbane this morning in light rain, the Bandit just died. Pulled to the right, from the right lane, and stopped. Backed it down the 1 m shoulder to a slightly wider spot. No lights anywhere, no turning over, nothing. Had to leave it there.

I don't think it was the rain: it had been in much heavier a couple of days earlier.

Could be battery, I guess. Any other hints?

Side note: pedestrians on a 4-lane freeway are in mortal peril.
  2. Possibilities:
    Dead battery from a dead charging system.
    Battery collapsed internally
    Blown main fuse (water somewhere critical?)
    Battery connection fell off
    Main ground connection fell off/corroded
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. or a combination of any two or three, or all!!!

But if you've had the battery in it for a reasonable amount of time, I'd suspect it first.....
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Checked battery connections at the side of the road and they were fine, but that's about all I could do in the circumstances.

Thanks, that's a great list to check.

Will likely buy a battery and take to it...
  5. ?? water in the fuse box?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Fuses are under the seat, right? All seemed pretty dry under there when I checked battery connections.
  7. You've been looking for an excuse to buy a new bike.......
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. I'll give him a fiver for it. Gonna cost to go pick it up after all.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Take a multimeter along with battery, to trace if it is some other fault.

Kinda weird for battery to suddenly die with no previous symptoms..
  10. #10 middo, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    I would have thought if it was battery you would have had some warning signs, such as slow starting beforehand, and to stop dead is unusual. I would be looking for a main fuse or battery connection.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Yeah, I'll probably buy a battery anyway, and take a multimeter, and try a few things. Obviously the fact that it's a metre from a freeway with cars and trucks at 110 passing by makes for less than ideal diagnostic conditions. If it's battery, fuse, earth connection or whatever hopefully I can find it relatively quickly and easily.

Slightly complicated by the fact that my daughter (slightly) crashed her car last weekend and has borrowed mine. Gotta get that back before I can go battery shopping.
  12. If the new battery doesn't make the bike work and it's something else (which means the old battery is OK), I can always stick the new one in a dry place in the shed for the next time I need one.
  13. If the bandit is dead, how much do you want for the seat?
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. Batteries don't store very well without being constantly charged. Leave it on the bike, or, you will have two dead batteries.
  15. #15 robsalvv, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    I had a perfectly healthy name brand battery, not that old, suddenly drop a cell after a spirited ride. We stopped to take a short smoko break and my bike would not show any signs of life whatsoever, not even rolling start. It can happen.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. #16 b12mick, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2016
    I've had a batteries just inexplicably die, no warning signs. My current battery though is starting to show the tell tale signs of coming to end of life. But like most blokes I won't replace it until it actually fails. I know I should replace it now, but hey it still basically works.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. It would have to more than just a dead battery, the engine would not have died if the battery was dead. in fact a battery can be disconnected and removed while the engine is running and the engine would not die. so it's more likely to be the charging system.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. I've had exactly the same thing happen. Battery dropped a cell and that was it, finished, all over red rover. Dropped in a new battery and it started straight up. Whether it would kill a running bike depends entirely on how it's wired. If it's like many dirt bikes and has a separate circuit from the alternator to the ignition (or a magneto type ignition) it will run fine with no battery, but I wouldn't trust a modern fuel injected machine to not drop it's bundle if the battery were to be suddenly disconnected. If the alternator were to pack it in, or the regulator rectifier for that matter, you would be running on battery power as it gradually went flat. If you flattened it enough so that the ignition stopped working it would still have enough left to bring on the dash lights and possibly click the starter solenoid.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. I'm assuming that a dead cell can be a short rather than just a no-battery situation. I dunno. Had it happen before with this bike, though that time it was stopped when it died. No warning signs though.
  20. if one dead cell shorts but is still connected to the adjacent cells, you'd just be a few volts down. (2.x ish?)
    if one cell goes open circuit, then you have no voltage

fingers crossed just the batt :)