Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

On The Definition Of Courtesy Bike

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by QuanTom, Oct 30, 2012.

1. I was a bit surprised this morning when my garage made me pay 25AUD for a courtesy bike whilst they were servicing my bike. I thought (and checked the definition) that courtesy meant 'free of charge' in this context. So is it false advertising from their part (as it is stated on their website they have courtesy bikes), or is it just normal business procedure?

2. No, they are doing you the courtesy of offering you a bike, $25 is pretty cheap I would have thought. If you get it free it will be added to your bill anyway probably, least this way you see what you are paying.
  3. where do you guys go to geta courtesy bike? i've never been given one...
  4. I agree 25 bucks is ok for them to recover insurance and petrol costs. My only qualm is regarding their use of 'courtesy' that means free of charge by definition. I think they shall call it rental instead...
  5. Did they ask for the $25 politely?
  6. Are you serious? That is down right one of the best services I've ever heard from a bike shop and you are complaining? No, courtesy in the terms of a vehicle doesn't mean free, the local leagues club charges $2 to use their courtesy bus. It simply means doing you a favour.
  7. On the definition of courtesy.

[kur-tuh-see or for 5, kurt-see] Show IPA noun, plural cour·te·sies, adjective.
    1. excellence of manners or social conduct; polite behavior.
    2. a courteous, respectful, or considerate act or expression.
    3. indulgence, consent, or acquiescence: a “colonel” by courtesy rather than by right.
    4. favor, help, or generosity: The costumes for the play were by courtesy of the local department store.
    5. a curtsy.

Nope nothing about free there.
  8. Well Oxford dictionary says:

noun (plural courtesies)

• 1 [mass noun] the showing of politeness in one’s attitude and behaviour towards others:he treated the players with courtesy and good humour
    • [count noun] a polite remark or considerate act:a ritual exchange of courtesies with the lawyerslinks to the manufacturers' websites are provided as a courtesy to the user
    • [as modifier] (especially of transport) supplied free of charge to people who are already paying for another service:a courtesy car
    • 2 archaic a curtsy.

Anyway, as stated before, I am not annoyed with them trying to recoup costs, but more about the use of the word 'courtesy' bike.

Also, I ended up not being invoiced for the 'courtesy' bike (but still got lighter by about $1500)
  9. $1500? you must ride a HD or a Ducati.
  10. Would you rather no courtesy bike offered or it factored into the cost of servicing?
  11. I had the use of a courtesy bike today, they normally offer this service for $20 however it was free as I was spending over $500 (service, custom map, new pads). They just asked I top up the tank when I bring it back. Happy with that :)
  12. Its $25 to save you walking/public transport..suck it up!
  13. Where else you gunna get the chance to thrash the shit out of somebody else's ride for a lousy $25
  14. Notice that the OP couldn't find the coin to pay the $10 to become a full member here?
    $1500 for a service? no problem, $25 for a courtesy bike - No fudging way.
  15. Perfect thread to try out the UN nod thingy maybe, 9 to go.
  16. no doubt it's been factored into the price of service, but i've never had to pay an additional or itemized fee for the loan bike from either of two mechanics in Melb i use.
    just fill the tank before returning it.
    but the bikes or scooters i've been loaned have been way too crap to justify charging money to borrow. just roadworthy shitboxes, nothing worth over a grand.
    to me, charging extra for it sounds like an odd practice.
    do car mechanics do the same when your car is serviced ?
  17. some panel shop do
  18. some panel shop do