Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

On my way to work this morning ..

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by VCM, Aug 6, 2008.

1. This is NOT a rider down thread, so please lets not go there

Around 7:00 am this morning riding up Frankston-Dandy Rd, I was surprised at the amount of bumper to bumper traffic traveling north-bound at a snails pace. "Oh well" .. I thought, as I proceeded to filter/split through it all.
    Up ahead I could see blue flashing lights and assumed an accident had taken place. Southbound traffic was zero .. ( road had been blocked ).
    Seconds later .. this "ROAR" come from overhead, followed by a rush of wind bringing with it twigs, leaves etc.
    Yep a copter finding a place to land in order to transport someone to hospital. A few moments later I see a mangled mess of what looked like a fellow commuter's bike. ( Someone I see almost every 2nd day on my way to work ). I don't know the guy, except for daily nods etc..

I didn't see what good stopping would be, as he was being attended to by paramedics, and his bike was moved onto the medium strip. I'd probably be in the way. However I feel guilty not stopping to at least see how he was.
    I later learned he was around 52 and suffered critical head injuries. I got the usual 5-6 phone calls from family & friends fearing the worst, and the usual lecture from my wife about how dangerous riding can be.
    It un-nerves me a little, and gotta wonder do you guys ever get used to it? Seeing a fellow rider come undone .. do you ever think that perhaps you haven't been as careful / alert on the road as you should be?
    Not speculating on who's fault it is .. but does it matter? either way the rider mostly cops the brunt of any injuries.

Sorry .. just felt I had to vent a little, and am genuinely concerned for the guy, hope he pulls though ok.
  2. In the last two weeks or so, I've seen a mangled sportsbike which hit the side of a 4WD in Haberfield (about 6 cop cars in attendance), and a rider getting trolleyed into an ambo on the Anzac Bridge.

Both encounters scared the f*ck out of me.
  3. Yes, it does serve as a wake up call, but I'm also a sufficiently callous individual to think "Could have been worse. Could have been me" when I don't know the rider personally.

Doesn't mean I don't wish 'em well though.

When all is said and done, when you see a mangled bike at the side of the road, how different is it really from buying bits from a smashed bike at the wreckers? In both cases you know someone's come seriously unstuck. Indeed, at the wreckers, when you think about it, you're taking advantage of their misfortune.
  4. Yes, other motorbike accidents make me very aware that riding a bike is much more dangerous than driving a car. The other day an L plater on a bike died not far from where I lived and since then I've been taking it real easy.
  5. Any accident on the road that I pass I always think I have to becareful. Like last Sat coming down from Bundoora I saw a accident at one of the roundabout I went passed. I probably happened just less than 10 min before I got to the scene. The ambo and cops just got there. The accident involved 2 cars and both drivers got injured. It was pretty serious. I remember thinking that it could have been me.
  6. If the reality of prangs makes you fear riding, then it's time to give it away.

Just riding in peak hour traffic comes with risks, let alone splitting peak hour traffic. What strategies can you employ to minimise those risks? :-k
  7. I am with you on that, may that rider recover quickly, I my self have seen too many friends and bikes crash, most of em are small falls, few have been nasty ones, it makes you a paranoid rider.
  8. I was working as a courier earlier this year, although in a van not a bike.
    Whenever someone has an accident another courier is called to the scene to help however they can and pick up the contents of their bike/car/van.

I was called to an accident involving a bike and camry. Can't tell you what bike it was as it was in pieces and the front end was totally removed from the rest of the bike. Seeing the visor also in pieces didn't look good for the rider and since I had only started riding a few months earlier it really shook me.

Spoke to someoone at the base later on that day that had gone to see the rider in hospital and it turns out the riders only injuries were a broken leg, but to look at the damage done to the bike I would call them incredibly luckly.

All the best to guy involved in the accident.
  9. The best thing way we can respond to this kind of stuff, AFAICT, is to make use of it to keep our daily risk assessment on track.

Some kinds of accident (esp. those involving deer / kangaroos / etc ) truly are unavoidable, but the majority could probably have been avoided if the rider had been more cautious or more skilled.

This is part of what makes riding, and the associated risks, appealing - when you get on a bike, to a very large extend you are choosing your own destiny - but to do so without constantly (and accurately) appraising the risks is foolhardy.

So the best we can do is try to understand the risks as best we can. Unpleasant as they may be, these kinds of encounters are valuable learning experiences. Learn what you can from them, help if you possibly can, but do everything you can not to let it happen to you.

/ my opinion only
  10. I HATE rubber-neckers :evil: they endanger everyone and slow the traffic to a halt, sure its pretty flashing lights, but you gotta be morbid to try see how injured people are :?

Was on the Eastern a few weeks back and the traffic was hell from the city entrance and i found out it was an accident, on the OTHER side of the freeway... FFS people, drive normally, nothing to see here... :roll:

Other than that, I'm invincible ;) :LOL:
  11. Grip the tank tightly, hold on rigidly and have eyes like saucers?

Another strategy is to put the left one on first. That always helps.

It's one of the reasons why I ride for pleasure and only commute on the bike when I am at 100%. Being a little bit tired, cranky, annoyed, all adds to the risks. Riding in the rain, whilst having its own attractions also adds risks beyond that of just reduced grip.

Riding to your limits, at your pace and not succumbing to pressure, peer or otherwise is another way of reducing your risk profile.
  12. Yep same, down the road from my house. Thing is i knew that bike and always parked next to it at Wollongong Uni. Small world, i got a little lecture from my dad to take it easy.
  13. I'll admit to being a little morbid. I've read whatever studies on MC accidents I've been able to find, looked through ridetodie.com (if that's the right address) in detail, etc. Like I said, I like to know the risks even if the data's grim. Information is power. A percentage of us are going to die out there, and I feel the more I know about the risks, the less likely I am to be one of them. YMMV.

I don't slow traffic down though.
  14. he's alive... was airlifted to the Alfred...he hit a truck at fast speed...wen't straight up in the air and then straight down again...landing head first...

surviving rush hour- don't split moving traffic
    - ride like you drive a car
    - be vigilant at intersections, they are killing zones for bikes
  15. it reminds us all that we really are mortal.
  16. Yea my parents gave me a lecture aswell. And I also have seen the rider and bike around the place, makes me sad knowing I won't see him ride by again.
  17. Thanks mate, I kinda needed to know.
    I hope to be able to nod at each other again soon ...
  18. Or take the rego off your bike and trackify it. ;)
  19. Please stick to the issues raised rather than sneak in newspaper reports of other crashes, I've already deleted one post.
    This discussion is on how you cope with seeing crashes and how to avoid them and how you feel and not speculation or throwing in random accident stories.
  20. i was stuck in that bumper to bumper traffic (in the car today) and boy was i pissed off about being late for work! right up until i found out it was a serious crash and an airlift was needed! double negative it was a fellow rider.

vinnie, what rider was it? bike description?? i use to ride that way to work at the same time most days, probably gave him/her a nod!

treat days incidence like this as a reality check. i've witnessed several bad accidents, and been involved in one myself. car or bike, the roads are super dangerous and it can happen to ANYONE, and we, as motorcyclists, are exposed to the full brunt of an accident. sadly, we usually come off second best too.

i've re-assessed the commuting risks, especially after riding everyday to work for over 12 months. the more you ride, the more chance of being involved in an accident you are, simple.

bottom line, IMO, there's nothing to prove by commuting every single day, rain, hail, or shine. if it's not the best day for it, and you have the option, take the car.

lastly, i wish the rider in question all the best, and i hope he/she is up on 2 wheels again soon.