Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

OMG!!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Cambo, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Oh My God!!!

I picked up my shiny new VTR250 on Wednesday and it has been very interesting to say the least.

I got my L's in the middle of November and hadn't been on a bike since then. :cry: I bought the bike from Metro Honda in Ringwood.

When I picked up the bike, it was parked out the front. No problems, I plan on riding around the car park out the back before I intend on riding it home to Box Hill North.

For those who know the area, if you head west for 100 metres, turn left then about 50 metres you enter the car park. Being nervous as a snow flake in hell, I make the first turn left sort of ok, but the second turn left to enter the car park. I'm still not sure what happened, but I know I looked down at the gear lever and next thing I know the bike has stalled and is tipping over on me. Yep, you guessed it, less than 200 mteres old and I have already dropped the bloody thing. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Ok, what have I damaged. Fortunately I was holding it up most of the time, but it got heavy on me, so I laid it down. The only thing that appears marked/bent is the gear change lever. Still ridable so ok.

I ride around the car park a few times practicing starting/stoping and cornering. Need to work out how to use the indicators with the new gloves, etc. :roll:

Ok, time to hit the road. It is about 3pm so reasonable amount of traffic on the road. Heading west along Whitehorse Road/Maroondah Highway, when oyu go over heatherdale road there is a service lane. Cool I will use that just for peace of mind.

I take a lot of back roads and end up at the corner of springfield & Middleborough roads where there has just been an accident and cars now merge into 1 lane. Amazing how cage drivers think you should just get out of their way.

Finally get home safely and take the gear off. Cannot believe how much I sweated in all the gear. First thing to do was staighten the gear change lever.

Have a kinder committee meeting to attend Wed night, so decide I will ride. Sure enough, I've got the indicator on to turn right. See the car stop at the intersection. Hang on, they haven't seen me and continue out into my path. Rapidly apply the brakes and stall the bike. Ok, miss car by about 1.5 metres so no need to panic.

Come Thursday and I think I will ride to cricket training. Maybe I should do a test ride down htere first. Just testing how the bike goes and to get some confidence. Going there I only manage to stall the bike once. Happened to be on Elgar Road which is not the best spot to be stalling the bike. :oops:

Coming home, I am going straight through a T intersection. I notice a big 4WD approach the interestion. Ok, I have right of way. Hmmmm, the lady is still putting her seatbelt on as she starts to enter the intersection. Hmmmm, she is not looking and hasn't seen me. This time I break and swerve left as I hit the horn. She looks up and glares at me. B1TCH!!.

Again when I get home, I can hear hte water from sweating in my boots. It is like a sauna everytime i ride. I have a rjays cord jacket, thick gloves, riding pants and boots, so may need to look at getting summer gloves, etc.

When it came time to go to cricket training, got there incident free and started to open the bike up for a bit. How good was that feeling. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Coming home from training, I still haven't mastered the art of turning left, slowing down, checking for cars and then accelerating, release clutch and dont give enough revs as I had just been braking. Hadn't grabbed the accelerator quickly enough. Stalled the bike, but no dramas.

All in all a very interesting 2 days on the bike and looking forward to many more, just need to get this turning left/slowing/looking/not stalling going properly.

2. well done dude. good on you going out there and giving it a go.
    don't be scared to apply throttle. when riding especially during turns or riding slow this will get you out of trouble.

3. well done mate!! nice choice of bike :wink: .. its very forgiving for a learner. It takes time to build up your confidence, you you'll get there!! its well worth practising riding every day!

4. All good cambo, in no time you will be offering advice to noobs! :LOL:

5. Well documented :cool:

Sorry to hear about the damage, but glad it's only minimal.

Trust nobody on the road, and keep sweating - at least it shows your concentration levels are high, you'll soon relax and be carving the Spur and GOR in no time

6. Well done, the first few rides are always a bit "heart in mouth" but once you get the confidence up, there'll be no stopping you.

If you know anyone else with a bike, see if they can go out with you. I'm still waiting to find someone who lives out here in Berwick, but if you can then riding with someone else will only help with your confidence.

Keep up the good work, it'll be worth it!!

7. i dont get how you can stall so often on a motorcycle?

i dont think i've ever stalled a bike...but i drive a manual car...

dont know, i just dont see how its possible...

8. Lucky you have a new battery :) Congrats and keep up the practice. Most riders pref turning one way over the other. For me its left.

Good luck :grin:

9. Heya Cambo, practice some more slow riding/turning in car parks....holding the throttle steady, ride the clutch and the rear brake. Use the brake to adjust your (slow) speed, not the throttle.

Start our practicing in straight lines to learn the slow control, then progress to corners/figure eights. Remember to over-exaggerate the head movement, and look right over your shoulder.

I hope that makes sense :?

The key is to keep practicing and keep learning :)

10. good stuff mate... just take it nice and easy, and ull get ther..

11. Ah the advantages of being large-ish, if you don't want to lay your bike down, you just.. don't. Mine was on its way down once but as if I'm going to pay for new fairings so I pulled it back up. 'bad zzr!' :LOL: Adrenaline + stingyness goes a long way :cool:

Glad you're having fun! Your survival instinct and reactions will develop soon enough so much that stupid cagers won't surprise you and you'll have already anticipated what they were about to do and responded accordingly.

12. Totally Lame Newbie

Hi all, I'm totally new to the whole bike riding thing, even tho i've wanted one for years. I've finally just bought a 2001 VT250, and I relate to Cambo's story, but my first spill was just plain pathetic.

Cause I have zero riding experience, I've just been putting round my yard, trying to get the contols sussed. Anyways, I was turning right down the narrow side of the yard, and I misjudged the width and totally panicked. I jammed on EVERYTHING (brakes, accelerator, clutch, the lot)

The result was my beautiful 12hr old (to me anyway) 150kg+ bike dumped me sideways and landed on my 5'1" (n a bit) 56kg body. Unfortunately, the physics of this didn't work in my favour. :oops: (I'm damn lucky, cos she got no damage out of it (probly cos I broke her fall), n I only got minor scrapes and bruises)
    Luckily, my 16 y.o. son (6"4", 120+kg) was home from school, cause for the life of me, I couldn't pick the damn bike up.

I'm sure heaps of you could give me a huge list of all the things I did wrong if I told you the whole story, but believe me, I've learnt my lesson! I'm booking in for professional lessons ASAP!

Well, that's my Australian story, hopefully I'll be a fully accredited and safe rider in the not too distant future and I look forward to meeting and riding with some of you then.

Til then, have a gr8 ride for me!
    Honni

13. Honni, you might be too cramped where you're practising. Maybe you need to get onto a more open road, if there's one about, to give you a little confidence. It's always easier at a higher speed (not creeping around a yard). Just don't give up!

Cambo, your 2 days sounds just like how I started :LOL:
    Great that you're also persistent so your skills will build quickly. And yeah, I'm sure you know it now - it doesn't matter who has right away. Assume they haven't seen you... you're invisible.

Oh and Cambo, I got both my bikes in Ringwood (1 at Metro) - blo0dy hard place to start your 1st ever ride! :shock: :cry: :shock:

14. No sweat Cambo. No wait lots of sweat! :LOL:

I did mine coming home from the dealer too. And once when I was being an idiot round a big roundabout. And once when I panicked and grabbed a little too much brake when a Volvo decided to attack me - funnily enough on the same roundabout as before.

Two types of bikers out there. Those who have dropped their bikes and those who are going to. :wink:

15. That stretch along Maroondah Highway in Ringwood isn't the best for a newbie, especially with the roadworks at the moment. :LOL:

16. Cameron, I've come from driving automatic cars for the last 20 years, so having a manual, especially a bike, aint that easy. I found that whilst I was watching that I didnt get front ended and/or rear ended and then needing to get around the corner quickly, I was over zealous on the clutch without being zealous enough on the acclerator....

17. Cambo, well done mate, alot of lessons learned there, keep getting out there everyday and you will improve each time you do.

With the stalling thing, are you changing down through the gears as you approach the intersection / left hand turn or just clutch in, braking and then trying to take off in whatever gear you were in ?

18. ...badluck in dropping the bike! But it's to be expected at noob status. We've all done it.

Just remember, you can have the bike screaming it's proverbials off, but if the clutch is in, you won't go anywhere.

Don't be scared to have the bike revving hard... just let the clutch out gradually and you wont stall on take off.... and STAY AWAY from the front brake when slow manouvering.

By the way, welcome to the club.

Rob

19. I remember the first time I rode my bike, I was sweating like hell even before hopping on - let alone riding it on the street. :oops:

Just keep practising, you'll get there! :) For slow speed riding, just make sure you keep your throttle steady and ride with your rear brake to maintain your balance. Also remember look where you are heading! :grin:

20. Ringwood

What is it about Ringwood?

I've lived in Heatherdale for years, and do most of my shopping in Ringwood. You think drivers are bad at noticing riders - I've totally had a blind spot for entire motorcycle dealerships!

Sure, I knew that there was a bike dealership there, in the back of my mind (the Yamaha dealer is the main one I remember). But it wasn't until I got interested in buying my own bike that I realised that there were like 5 bike dealerships in the space of one block!

Then I went to buy my bike, and I realised that this was a mecca of motorcycles. And it was all around the corner from my house. An amazing hive of activity. Why had I not noticed? How long have those other dealers been there? I remember the Clipstone Yamaha place from my childhood - but I never noticed Peter Stevens until recently. I think A1 has been there for a while. It's amazing how businesses of the same type congregate like this. I would have thought they would spread themselves out more, but I guess people like having them all in one place.

Anyway, the roadworks out here is crazy - I've seen massive traffic jams on Heatherdale road, with about 20 trucks in a row hauling debris away from the building site. The progress is amazingly quick. It's going to be quite an engineering feat building the tunnel under Maroondah highway, and then dropping down into the valley alongside Heatherdale road.

Heatherdale was once a quiet little borough, I think the big city is soon going to extend well out into the suburbs.