Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

OMG Run off Fwy @100Km/Hr

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by GuJohnno, Oct 24, 2008.

1. I have been riding for just 5 days now. Each day I have been riding to and from work and my confidence is slowly growing.

I was riding along the Eastlink where it merges with the Frankston Fwy. I was in the RH lane keeping up with traffic and the F'stn Fwy was merging into the LH lane. Not far pass the merge, from nowhere a car pulled into my lane and kept on moving over to the RHS. I started to give him room but as he moved over so quickly I ended up onto the dirt/grass with the t-Trees just a meter or so away.
    I don't know how I managed to stop and keep it straight. I did most things wrong and hit the front barake on the grass, reved the engine and my feet came off the pegs. But I stopped, un-injured and no damage to the bike.

Some nice lady pulled over to see if I was alright.

After catching my breath after a minute or so I then had to start up and merge into the Fwy from the RHS whilst all of the cagers were doing 100Km/Hr pass me.

One hell of an experience let me tell you.

2. Glad you got out of it mate but really its the first of many situations where "I didnt see you" will have you raising your awareness for every vehicle on the road.
    Is there a reason you didnt back off and let them slip in front instead of headding for the grass? Not that you should have to but survival is survival.
  3. :shock: holy cr@p

I don't know anything about the traffic or the area, but sounds like you were very lucky.

Glad to hear you're okay, but make sure you learn something from the experience.
  4. remember, drivers are stupid.
  5. Save your money and don't gamble for a while, you've used up a bit of luck :wink:

Well done in keeping it upright - freaky stuff and at least you've learnt to expect the unexpected and that many drivers are in their own world.

Hope the next five days are a bit easier on ya :cool:
  6. Out of nowhere on a freeway?
    Did you anticipate it?
    Why did you not slow down when it was obvious the guy was not yielding?
    why did you not use the horn?
    What if there was no runoff what would you have done?
    Anticipation and situational awareness is the greatest skill you can have.
  7. fark :shock:

but these things are avoidable with experience.

a lot of us think of being surrounded by a big bubble and change our road position to keep others out of it.
  8. I know I was lucky and there are a few things that I have learnt from it all.

The guy came from behind and at an angle, that is why I didn't see him. I have been trying to not have cars travel along side of me.

I should have backed off as soon as I saw him comming over and slipped behind him.
    Sounding the horn was the last thing on my mind, but from now on in heavy traffic I'll have my thumb next to it ready.

I'm lucky to have a scare and come through unscathed as long as I learn from it and become better at all of this.

Although I might give that part of road a miss during heavy Friday night traffic just for a bit.
  9. Give him a break, 5 days riding he's probably so busy with the mechanics of riding that he just can't do it all I know I couldn't!

Call it luck, call it instinct while probably doing everything wrong he saved himself & his bike & has obviously learnt some huge lessons!

Huge pat on the back for being gutsy enough to continue your journey & safely navigate your way back into the freeway traffic!
  10. Hey it's ok.

I posted this up to get peoples reactions and learn for the experienced riders on here.
    So any critism/advice is welcomed.

This is a great site to learn from, but it's surprising when some thing happens the theory goes out the door.
  11. He came from behind and then merged on you? What a mother fcuker!!

Ok, first of all, well done on the save, BUT, any time a vehicle creeps up on you and you weren't aware of it, slap yourself hard. You just failed at managing traffic. Maintain a radar map of the traffic around you at all times. You don't get any leniency on this just because you're a learner rider. This skill is even more important at your stage. Dig?
  12. 5 days and a lesson learnt.

Welcome to bikes ;)

In future think to yourself, can I speed up and get out of the situation, can I slam the brakes and slow down, can I give the wanker a size 10 boot to the drivers door to wake them up.

You need to master the quick processing of thoughts like those that so you can choose the appropriate course of action for when it happens next.

Because there will be a next time.
  13. what rob said. you should really be checking mirrors every 3-5 secs in traffic. just a quick glance to see everything is where it was.
    and what vic said. sometimes you have to fang it.
    if you can follow an experienced rider through traffic you will learn heaps.
  14. Yep I agree with you here. I still have days where I could have things differently. I'll never be an expert.

Definition of an expert; ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure!

Any decent rider will tell you we are all still learning every time we ride! Hopefully the lessons aren't the same ones every time.

We are all guilty of becoming a little or a lot complacent or over c0cky when we haven't had a wake up call in a little while. Fortunately for most of us it's enough to make you slap yourself upside your head for being an idiot & become a whole lot more alert! hey the motorcycling world needs more lerts!
  15. Thanks for the comments and support.
    You have given me a few things to work on.

I still rode to work this morning so it hasn't scared me off...
  16. Good to hear you kept it upright.
    But know you know huh.

As for the horn advice, unless your bike has a fairly loud horn i would rather forget about it an concentrate on riding outa trouble.

Just keep an eye on mirrors and everything around you and never stop thinking.
  17. Thinking about it today, I must have thought that he would end up seeing me and stop moving over. That's why I just moved over a bit. :roll:

I should've thought that he wont see and will keep comming over and just frop in behind him.
  18. That's the thing mate, we can't trust the bastards at all, whether or not they see us.

I've been riding for some 35 years. However, very little of it is dense urban traffic as I live out in the stix. The idea of dealing with peak hour traffic on the bike isn't a pleasant one. I would imagine that it forces you to develop an entirely different set of skills to that of the open road or twisties rider such as myself.

Good luck with the learning process. And if you can afford it do one of the HART or other registered training orgs rider courses.
  19. The stay upright advanced courses are great. They name the courses advanced, they should be called must-do-after-you-have-ridden-for-longer-that-an-hour-on-the-road course. On second thoughts it isn't a very slick name, perhaps they should stick with advanced.