Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Omeo Highway - Omeo to Mitta Mitta

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by trevnsig, Feb 6, 2008.

1. I am told that there is an approx. 30km section on the Omeo Highway between Omeo and Mitta Mitta that is gravel.

Can anyone confirm this?

I am also told that this gravel is to be upgraded to Bitchum this year.

Can anyone also confirm this? If so when is this to be done?

If know can confirm the above does anyone know who i can ring and ask.

2. Try the Omeo Police station for road conditions up that way.

I've driven Albury to Mitta Mitta & Bruthen to Omeo but never had to link the two so cant comment but maps tend to suggest some gravel in there.

3. There was still dirt last week in Dec '07. I rode it on a wet Nov day, took me 2.5 hours for the 100km Omeo to Mitta Mitta.
    I have not heard about it being sealed. But the gravel road from Falls Creek to the Omeo Highway is being sealed. Don't know what time frame but.

4. That will make for a nice loop Mt Beauty - Falls Creek - Omeo - Hotham - Bright - Mt Bueaty.

Found this on the net in regards to sealing the road between Omeo and Falls Creek - The Bogong High Plains Road winds gently uphill for around 30kms from Mt Beauty to Falls Creek before continuing on through to Omeo. Around 30kms of road from Falls Creek to Omeo is currently gravel however this should be completely sealed by the end of 2009

5. How much dirt and the condition of it? I'm heading to Corryong on Friday going via Reefton, Mansfield, Beechworth, etc. Usual route. But there's a small chance that I may have to leave late. If so, I'm considering a shortcut, going down the highway to Bairnsdale, up to Omeo and maybe to Mitta Mitta.