Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Oldies do crash more!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by pringa8, May 14, 2008.

1. I always knew it, but haven't seen it in print!

Just lookin on the TAC melbourne stats before and found the following crash breakdown according to age

Drivers aged 65 years or over have a higher risk (per distance travelled) of being killed in a crash than any other age group. Next comes the young'uns!

In 2006, 31 older drivers were killed. Of these deaths:

68% were male,
    23% were involved in adjacent intersection crashes,
    45% were involved in single vehicle crashes,
    65% occurred on country roads,
    68% occurred during low alcohol times,
    most occurred during daylight hours, and
    65% occurred on roads signposted 100km/h or more.
  2. yeah interesting to see it all mapped out like that.....for it backs up my opinion that we are being governed (news rules) by older folks ie the baby boomers, as in i don't think youth of today are really doing anything much worse then there grandparents but because the majority of the voting public is now much older, they want rules/limits that suit there abilities and lifestyles and to me this shows that older folk struggle with a higher limit......and until the power of the voting public swings back to a younger generation, we will be stuck with rules for the majority and atm it's a older gen views. :(
  3. maybe they crashed trying to avoid P platers...
  4. Or crashed into them! :LOL:
  5. Time for a "Dob in a Dodderer" hotline I reckon.

Seriously, nothing has ever made me come so close to getting off my bike and pushing it all the way home, than the sight of an old guy with coke bottle glasses trying to get his key into the car door. His nose was about 6 inches from the keyhole and he was still having trouble :shock: .

Or the old woman who I watched drive through a major town at a steady 10 km/h, going straight through every red light (half a dozen) on the way :shock: .

Much more worrying than the odd doughnut on the crossroads outside my house.
  6. One of the reasons that older folks are more likely to die in a crash, is because their bodies can't take the knocks that younger folks can. We shouldn't knock the oldies, cos we will be there too, before too long. Time goes fast. It will be Christmas before we know it.
  7. Just throwing in a curly one here...

Old fart and young idiot... same car, same speed, same same everything... head on collision, who is gunna make it out of hospital in a box???

2nd hand report, from a mate of my brother who does the analysis of the crash data for the cops in NSW, is, that over 30 years crash rates have stayed pretty stable, as the statistics say have injury rates and severity... while death rates have fallen steeply and outcomes for injured have improved markedly... the real reason is massive advances in emergency medicine, and emergency response times...

So instead of trying to slow everyone down, the government should just plough heaps of $$$ into health, and let as go wild...[/i]
  8. Or to skew the stats even more....old retired person and young worker with a family - which is going to be on the road the most?
    Less old people on the roads and/or driving less kms would make that slight increase even more significant, possibly more than enough to compensate for reduced survivability.
  9. True enough Rog, but there comes a time, for most, when they're (or we're if you prefer) no longer capable of safely conducting a motor vehicle on a public road, and this needs to be recognised.

I'll quite happily admit that many people of all ages are similarly incapable for whatever reason, but I'll also state that I'll be quite happy for them to be weeded out too. I'm even prepared to bear an increased burden of training and testing to be applied to me in order to allow this to happen.

Age, in itself, does not necessarily reduce one's capability to drive to a dangerous level (having watched octogenarians hurl vintage Bugattis up Prescott hillclimb that's not an argument I can sustain), but a more rigorous, lifelong testing regime would help to weed out those incapable of using the roads safely whatever the reason.

Of course, getting the incapable off the roads would require a serious upgrade of public transport, but that's a whole other can of worms.

And +1 to all those noting the lesser ability of an aged body to survive a crash. That is a significant factor.
  10. ah, the invincibility of youth!
  11. At your listed 2007 years of age, I can appreciate you feeling a little grumpy at comments about the aged. :p I think its time for you to get off the road :LOL: Getting your drivers license for a chariot doesn't automatically entitle you to stay on the road forever.
  12. At least I have got this far, mate. You are a boy, nearly 2000years my junior. Respect your elders, laddie.
  13. More on the oldies, shows there's serious issues based on per km

Those aged 65+ accounted for 16% of fatalities and 10% of serious injuries. Older drivers represent 13% of licence holders.
    Older drivers tend to drive less often and smaller distances than their younger counterparts. When examining fatalities per kilometre travelled, drivers aged 65+ are seven times more likely to be killed than the lowest risk age group.ii
    When involved in accidents, older drivers are more susceptible to serious injury than younger drivers, largely due to their increased frailty.
    Multiple vehicle accidents accounted for 75% of older driver fatalities, 38% of these at intersections. This is thought to be partly due to the demand that complex traffic situations place on older drivers, in combination with deterioration in hearing, vision, reaction time and mobility.
  14. On a brighter note, only another four years and I'll be able to drive like a complete lunatic, speeding, drinking and getting as stoned as I like, and still only have the same crash risk as the average P plater or aged pensioner :grin: .
  15. I wonder how suicide skews single-vehicle crash statistics.

Sure, old people don't have the reflexes or the bone-density anymore... but if you had a terminal illness, were in a bunch of pain and decided euthenasia was on the cards for you: might you just decide to take your bike with you?