Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Older Rider Starting Out

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by SpiderSlayer, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Hi all,

I'm just getting into motorcycling, at 45 years old.
    Have purchased my first bike, a 2006 Suzuki Intruder, VL250.
    My brother's an experienced rider, and keen to help get me on the road. Will be taking it very slow, building confidence and competence as I go; no hurry.

Ultimately, the wife and I aim to do some touring when the kids are older.
    Found this forum when searching for bike info, looking forward to the online community.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Welcome to Netrider and to the joys of two wheeling!!!
  3. welcome aboard :) never to late for a bike
  4. Welcome to Netrider and 2 wheels .... You have come to the right place for advice and encouragement! :)
  5. Yupp..as others have said in the above posts.

Never too late to start but be careful, this is a dangerously addictive activity. ;)

Come on down to the Saturday practice one of these days...
  6. Welcome :) Another late starter here. We're everywhere!
  7. Yep, same as Greydog ! Welcome !
  8. Welcome SpiderSlayerSpiderSlayer it sure beats wearing lycra and holding up traffic!!!
  9. Welcome, SpiderSlayerSpiderSlayer
    I also started at 45, about 2 years ago.

250 to 500 to 650 bought just this week.
    It gets under your skin, this riding thing.
  10. Welcome SpiderSlayer,heaps of advice on the form.
  11. Welcome Spider Slayer. My story is your story. Just got my first bike last July, practicing for MOST and hope to have it done in next 4-6 weeks. Enjoy your rides. I have a mate who is experienced rider and have done some great rides including Canberra, Goulburn, Taralga, Oberon to Windsor. Windsor to Wineries via Putty was best so far. Also did Old Pac Hwy a few weeks ago and back to Wisemans Ferry. This was a great ride. Starting to get more confidence in traffic, but a long way to go. Learnt a lot in 3 days as a member from other NR members.
  12. You are lucky having a motorcycle trainer in the family :) though not sure being taught by one is such a good idea ... family feuds / rivalry and all.
  13. I started riding at 53. Got some very mixed reactions. But it's the best thing I've ever done. Enjoy!!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Started at 43 three months ago - wishing I had a bigger bike already - or maybe just more bikes - lots more!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I started in my 50's. Thought I'd do the touring thing and had a sport tourer. Then I test rode a street triple and ........
    Suggest you do some advanced training. Saves years of working it out yourself and advice from mates.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Found this video very informative. Throttle control, how bike works in corners, counter steering etc

17. So badly acted that I couldn't get past the first five minutes of this 1 hr 30 minute clip. So, don't know if there was great advice or not. It does raise an issue though in that short amount of time. Everyone has different advice and it's so hard to know what to listen to.
  18. Is a good clip to watch for new riders, plenty of good info. I liked the acting - kind of like an old b-grade horror movie!
    • Agree Agree x 2