Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Older new rider's whinge

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by ljcoolio, Jan 15, 2016.

1. As a late forties new rider ( and I mean real late), I've had a gut full of people hearing I've bought a motorbike and replying with "oh so your having a midlife crisis". Even people I have only just met! I bought for the enjoyment of seeing a bit more of the countryside in an adrenaline charged mode of transport , not so I can ride past shop windows checking how young and cool I look and hoping to pick up girls twenty years my junior. Are there other twilight aged riders out there that suffer the same fate???

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Yep, I just laugh it off knowing it's actually coming to an age where you wake up and realise what's actually important in this short life and they still don't.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. They're just joking. Get over it. Beat them to the punch line and call it your midlife crisis when telling them about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. You wait for the "I told you so" brigade that will appear if you have a gravity attack while on it... :rolleyes:

I very much ride for myself and the sheer fun of it. Although I'm a way off being in my 40s its fair to say I get exactly zero attention riding around town too.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. tell them it was cheaper to get a learners and leather for a bike than the bondage course you were looking at :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  6. is this a third world problem?

7. Yes I'm sure if they tried it or did something out their normal everyday, instead of bagging others who do, they'd understand you've got to stop sometime and do something purely cause it makes you happy

• Like Like x 1
  8. I made a Mid-life Crisis sign for my bike right from the beginning.

Most people dig it and it's a handy conversation starter.

In the end, some people would accuse you of a mid-life crisis, even if you just got a different haircut.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Yeah I'm not really pissed off just get sick of laughing at the same comment endlessly I like your suggestion though I need a sign

• Like Like x 1
  10. The midlife crisis comments usually come from envious people whose wife/partner won't let them have a bike, or they don't have the balls to actually ride.

Good on you for doing what makes you happy, after all it is your life so enjoy it!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks mate

12. get it printed on a t-shirt to wear while riding

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I started at 60, so I hope it's a mid-life crisis!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. You should reply. " Actually it's only half a Midlife crisis I had, and when the new Model comes out in Feb, I'll be having the other half" :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Fcuk 'em mate.
    When you've been riding a while you learn how easy it is to ignore the insignificant.

By the same token - you pay attention to the immediately significant.

Done and done.

• Like Like x 1
  16. It's only considered a mid life crisis if you start shaving your pubes for the first time :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. I'm not quite 30 and I only just started riding (after a 10 year hiatus). People joke with me all the time about having a midlife crisis. Last time I told them that the next thing I'll do is go postal and proceeded to discuss which one of them I'd shoot first :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. You have just started a new exciting adventure. Just do it. I am older. I was older when I started riding.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Punch em in the head.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. After 40+ years of riding I thought I had enough and sold the motorbike - it was my midlife crises but people around me just thought I'd come to my senses at last.

A few years later I did come to my senses and got back on a motorbike - those very same people thought it was my midlife crises.

Go figure...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3