Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National Old tyres

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by basejumper, Aug 25, 2016.

1. I've found a guy selling brand new wet Tyres that have been stored inside all their life. Dom 2011. I would like to get a wet set just incase it rains during a track day. Should I use these ? Or are they useless ? Tx

2. how did they get wet if stored inside ?
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. I have wets that old I race on, but, I can't wait to wear them out to get new ones.

Better off, stick the money in your pocket and buy when you absolutely need to have them, then wrap them up when done.

4. If they've been stored in a cool area, out of the sun, they will be fine. They will be marginally harder than brand new ones, but you'd be hard pressed to find brand new wets that were manufactured after 2014 anyway. Wets aren't like slicks, the oils don't seep out and they don't become brittle like slicks, since they have a much higher silica content which is required for wet pavements.

Plus, the chances are, you won't be pushing a set of wets even remotely close to their limits, so you don't need brand spankers. Yes people say the same about slicks, that you won't be pushing them to their limits either, but old slicks drop off in grip substantially, wets don't.

Go check out the tyre, stick your fingernail into it, put sideways pressure on the treads, I guarantee it will still be very soft, even when cold, so they will be much softer again when warmed up.
  5. Why would you want to ride on 7 years old tyres?

Wets work well in wet because they are very soft. No matter how you store them, they'll degrade in 7 years (usually manufactures have 3 years storage period if I remember correctly).

Not to mention much older technology.

First time I tried wets I was blown away with the grip I had. Was one of the best days of my riding.

I'd suggest to get newer, more recent wets if you need those and you won't have to worry about this stuff :)

6. I dunno, track was soaking wet on friday at eastern creek, and my wets are nearing 6 years old, they had tonnes of grip. Enough grip to let me lap faster in the wet on Friday than every green grouper could lap in the dry on Saturday. On top of that, they gave ample feedback, I could feel every single thing the tyres were doing, which was surprising considering their age.

Don't get me wrong, if I were offered brand new tyres and 6 year old tyres, I'd take the brand new ones in a heartbeat, but there's certainly nothing wrong with old wets, provided they've been stored correctly.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. If your wets look anything like this though, I probably wouldn't try pushing them real hard. This is courtesy of a drying track.

And if anyone was curious whether or not wets are real grippy for a short period of time in the dry, they are not. They overheat almost instantly, losing every shred of feedback and will slide with even the smallest request of grip.
  8. Tyres are the cheapest insurance you can own. Pays dividends to have a fresh set on your deadly treadly.

I used to own a set of wets I used once at Broadford when it was pissing down. Great grip and allowed me to knee down on a wet track. I always was going to put them on a new set of rims to use racing but then time and family happened and I couldn't see myself using them. Expensive laps.

2011 tyres are past their prime but useful if you have a spare set of rims that you can change to if your track/race day goes damp.

Get them if they're the right price I reckon.