Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Old tyre problems from lack of use?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Brett, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Looking at buying a bike that is 6 years old and only done a couple of thousand k's.
    Could the rubber be old and hard from sitting around?
    What should I look for?

Am considering buying it from interstate and riding it straight back but dont want to do that on possibly bad tyres.
  2. Look for cracking anywhere around the sidewall, and around the tread blocks.
    All tyres will typically have fine cracks around the tread, but if you can see any major cracking or signs of carcass then I wouldn't trust them for a major ride.
    It's not too bad if it's dry and not too warm.
    If it's hot or wet then it could be really dangerous.
  3. #3 CraigA, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    Tyres are most likely past their best.

There is a four digit number stamped on every tyre that indicates the week and year that they were made. If more than 5 years old, they are past their best.

Having said that, if the tyres look ok and the bike has been kept in a garage and you ride it gentle you will probable get it home ok if you are riding straight roads.

I wouldn't go riding windy roads though as that's when you will run into strife. I would also change them once you get the bike home.
  4. Here's an example.
    This is my front tyre. It was made week 49 of last year. 1473584597983.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. Cool - thanks for the info.
    If I get it I will be riding it from Sydney to Melbourne and probably visit a few places out of the way on the trip - so that is why I thought I should ask as i will probably be taking a few winding roads and I am not sure if I could cope with being gentle the whole way.
  6. They aren't just on bike tyres either. My lh front on the car. 1473585459360.
  7. Replace replace replace....
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Just wack some fresh rubber on and take as much windy road as you can handle in that case mate.

Team moto do good tyre deals here in QLD and they also have a dealership at Blacktown in Sydney.

TeamMoto TYRE Catalogue

There might be better around than the above in Sydney too. Do a ring around!
  9. Yep - need to consider those costs in the purchase I guess - at least the rest should be good as it has very low k's and he says it has just been serviced.
    Might need to see if I can find someone here that could do a check over of it before I negotiate price and travel up there.
    Anyone willing to help out with the promise of a reciprocal favour if help needed from someone in Melbourne?
    Bike is in North Sydney area.
  10. Agree agree agree ...
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. I did a track day on tyres that were 10 years old and had been standing unused for at least 3. They were fine once I'd got them hot :D.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. yeah, I'm an advocate for not mucking around with old tyres, but 6 year old tyre should get you from Sydney to Melbourne without any problems. Just be aware and don't use that last bit of theoretical grip. If you think you will want to, then replace them. Otherwise take it for the ride and see.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. What ^he^ said. If you're going to take it easy they should (assuming no cracks, flat spots, or other damage) get you home just fine, though you might want to replace them once you get there. If you're planning on fanging it, new tyres are the safer option.
  14. Meh, 6 years old should be fine so long as you're not trying to set lap records.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. If in doubt replace, its allot cheaper then crashing! Made that mistake.
    An easy way to gauge if they are finished is touching the tyre after a good ride to check if its warming up and if you can dig your fingernail into the rubber.
    Its also worth checking the valves as they go brittle and can start to crack and leak air as you speed up.

If your upset about throwing out a good tyre just use it as a burnout tyre ;)
  16. Would you eat old dried up pasta?
  17. Would you boil your tyre on your kitchen stove and eat it?
  18. If it's old and dry don't use it ...

oh wait ...

damn :inpain:
  19. <crosses the Mother Superior of list>
  20. What CraigA said, +1.

The ideal would be to change out dodgy tires before the thousand km road trip. Not always practical or in the budget though I know. I've never had a bike tire last long enough to go hard. Car tyres on the other hand, I find tend to start deteriorating in wet grip quite noticeably after three years or so, which is well under the five years that is often quoted for shelf life for tires. That's where you will most probably notice it first. Riding it home I think would be OK as long as the weather isn't extreme hot, cold or wet. I would be sure to ride prudently in the wet. There are a couple of things to consider. The first is wet grip. The second is that the tire may leak when up to temperature and that impacts handling. Take a compressor or pump and you have back up. If the tire looks OK and feels OK handling wise and the weather is good, then the ride home shouldn't be a big deal if done at sensible speeds. Road tires at legal speeds don't usually get up to the sort of temperatures that track tires do, particularly as they tend to run lower pressures on the track at higher speeds. So don't rely on them being completely fine once warmed up.