Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Old tehnology vs New technology

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Rambler, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Hey all,

I'm looking for a 600 to replace my old 250.

I love the looks of the R6 and CBR600RR but don't like the comfort (particularly with the new R6). I'm not a big fan of the K5 onwards shape GSXR or Ninja. I have loved the K1-K3 shape GSXR's since new and would consider buying one over a new bike.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows, from a technical, ride comfort and performance perspective, what the difference is between a K1/K2/K3 GSXR 600 VS a K7/K8...? Are they that far apart?

Is the $8k vs $14k worth it enough to spend the extra money?

Or should I just say screw it and go buy a Blackbird?

Your comments and thoughts much appreciated.
  2. If you want a propper i4 with reasonably good comfort, I'd look at an 01-02 zx6r. This was the stage before fuel injection and before they all (racebikes) went extreme race spec in terms of comfort.
  3. Correct!
  4. I tell you it's bloody tempting, but I don't want to have to resort to that.

The extra size and weight of the Bird will probably be an issue for me.
  5. New technology every time, particularly in the supersport class where development is so rapid.
  6. What do you want the bike to do? If it's just to commute and run around the twisties on the weekend then I doubt you'll notic so much difference between a couple of years. Injected Vs carby on the other hand may be a bit more noticable.
  7. Thanks for the comments so far guys :)

I'd primarily be using it for:
    traveling to work on the good days
    social rides during the week with NR
    occasional light tour like GOR or BS
    a track day (for skills training - I have no desire to be the next Micky D) once or twice a year
  8. Perhaps look at which one is most comfy? The CBR (pre rr) aren't too bad, the ZX9 get a good rap for being comfy - and there's one going real cheap here atm.
  9. Lol "old technology"

I thought this thread would be SOHC, carbs, and skinny tyres vs DOHC, efi and 190 rears etc...