Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Old Rider - New to Australia

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by cosmic_wanderer, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Hi Everyone,

I have been riding (over seas) for close to 12 Years now and recently moved to Sydney as a Permanent Resident.
    Still haven't got myself back on 2 wheels in this beautiful country as I am trying to sort out my license.

I am eligible to directly get an Unrestricted Motorcycle license after passing a DKT and a MOST test.
    (Hope I got the terms right, been doing a lot of reading online)

Booked a test and went down to RMS office to appear for it and they refused to accept my existing license as the card doesn't meet their requirements and I have been asked to produce a letter from my Consulate stating that it is a valid license.
    Ohh well... time to jump through a few government loops and then get back to RMS.

Anyways, hope to sort out the license situation soon and then start looking for my next machine soon.
    I dont need to do lot of city/urban riding. ( I walk to work and back everyday !! ) so I will probably go for an Adventure/Touring bike to explore the country.

2. Welcome to Netrider!... Hope you get your license sorted quickly :)
  3. Welcome, Wanderer! In which state are you? Rules vary across them.
  4. Welcome Wanderer. Titus, He's in Sydney ;-)
  5. Thanks,

Ya as Gooza said, Sydney so I am NSW.
    I have spent the last couple of months reading through the Rider Handbook and familiarizing myself with the nitty-gritty of the Licensing rules of NSW.
    Plus had a few chats with some fellow experienced riders at my work place to make sure I am clear about them.
  6. Welcome to NR - hope you get back on two wheels soon!
  7. Erk, I've taken too many medicinals I think. Not paying attention.
  8. Welcome to netrider mate and also welcome to Australia, the land of red tape, baffling bureaucratic decisions and hoop jumping.

Good luck with the licence swap. If my experiences with the NSW RTA are anything to go by, you're going to need it!
  9. Welcome and good luck with the RMS dramas!
  10. What they said, dealing with RMS is like juggling razor blades....