Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Old R60/6 dropping revs at higher throttle openings

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by incitatus, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Hot on the heels of another thread relating to losing power at high revs. I decided to ride my old R60/6 today instead of my R1150R, and bugger me if it didn't start dropping revs at higher throttle openings. It's not missing, its just running out of puff. When I stopped for a minute or two it's then ok for a while. I haven't had time to check much yet, my first port of call will be the fuel cap vent hole. I hope it's not a carby problem. those old pre-CV carbs can be a biatch.

2. Either that or you need to lose a little weight, inci :LOL:
  3. ooh cruel, so cruel......and unfortunately true.
  4. OK, so my first guess of a diaphragm problem isn't going to make the cut.

How is the air filter?
  5. I wish..oh how I wish, but no it's fine. The pre-CV Bing carbs as you probably know, are an invention of Beelzebub.
  6. Sadly. my '79 R100RS is the oldest Bimmer I have worked on, so no, I'm not aware of the intricacies of the earlier carbies. (But surely, being BMW they would have some sort of teutonic logic behind them.)
  7. Yes, the tuetonic logic that somebody somewhere, must make amends for the treaty of Versailles :(
  8. Don't know my way around the R60s but some ideas might be....
    Stale or bad fuel
    Sucking air where it shouldn't, leaning the mix (but then it should pop/fart as well), like the rubber boots or elbows
    Points worn or need resetting
    Coil (cracked housing? shortening on frame?)
    Fuel cocks/lines blocked? (incl the junction line)
    Needles/ seat gunked up?

Sounds like fuel/air but who knows?
    Just trying here...
  9. And the winner is...glitch_oz! It turned out to be the inline fuel filter, one of those conical aluminium ones. I removed it completely and replaced it with a piece of alloy tube, and hey presto, problem solvered. (I hereby apologize to Mr Beelzebub for any disparaging remarks I may have made about his carbys)
  10. Teutonic logic :LOL: :LOL: :p