Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

old or newer????

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by POPEYE, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Hi all,

I am inquiring has anyone here owned a 97-00' 600/750 (carburetted) ? & a 01-03' 600 / 750 (fuel injected)? & whether I should by an early model 600 or spend the bucks and buy a late model one? Is the performance jump to fuel injected & the newer equipment worth it???

I am thinking gsxr600srad v k2 or 99 R6 v 03 R6.

I have seen you can get an earlier model of these bikes pretty cheap $3500 to $5000 OR the spend about $2000 more & get an earlier fuel injected version.

Before you make comments please consider that I am a sports bike oriented rider I.e. will not get an SV650, this will be my 2nd bike after riding a cbr250rr for a year, will be off my p's soon, I have put in 8000ks on the RR & a dozen rides down old pacific & the nato...

i had my L's 6 years ago & I had an done 4500ks on a RG250.:censored:

I am confident my abilities are moderate as per the ranking system on this site. I practice low speed riding, counter leaning, breaking, even the odd stoppie/wheelie once a week & my hooligan ways have disappeared along time ago along with the RG. Also booked a track down in a couple of weeks & aiming to do further training.

I am also mechanically minded so far replaced own chain/sprockets, fork oil, added preload spacers (80cents worth!!!), cleaned carbs, replaced oil fluids, etc on cbr....

So should I get the cheaper 600s for my 2nd bike as my first big bike to learn on or is the extra $2k worth the fuel injected bike???:-s

Constructive comment would be greatly appreciated...:-s
  2. I have never owned or ridden either but for what its worth if it where me I think I would go for the older bike with carbs. For the $2000 you save you could get better pipes, rejet the carbs and a host of other mods

You can do a lot of tuning with $2000 and while EFI is great a well tuned set of carbs is hard to beat.

But then I just like carbies....they make sense to me, while EFI is all a bit too complicated