Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Old Newbie

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Chrisxy, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Hi folks, great to join your community after reading informative and entertaining posts.
    Just on the threshold of taking my lams and fortunate to afford a new bike, now searching for protective gear (so unlike me) that keeps you cool in the heat of a qld summer, I've sussed I probably need a helmet liner, shaved head, as I would resemble a monk if I didn't, a decent jacket, gloves, boots n kelvar jeans?
    any suggestions would be grateful, so much available and being new would appreciate your reccomendations

2. Welcome to NR!

I'm pretty sure there are some local QLD folk on here who could point out some shops for you.

What type of bike were you looking to get? This might change the style of gear you might want to buy.

3. Hi Jaytee, sold on the Triumph 660, would love to do my training on it, but will have issues with running it in...
  4. Howdy ChrisxyChrisxy and welcome. I had a lot of trouble finding appropriate gear and it took a lot of time and lots of legwork to find a combination that worked in our 4 seasons in one day climate. Hopefully some fellow qlder's will help you with some practical feedback. :)
  5. Welcome ChrisxyChrisxy, like GoldenberriGoldenberri, I'm from Mexico too. The 660 looks like a great LAMS bike, so running in should not be too much of a problem. I wore a cordura jacket and pants for a while, but they were warm in summer. Kevlar jeans are obviously cooler, but not as much protection, surprisingly my leather jacket is cooler too (from Mars Leathers in Melbourne).
    Dririder summer gloves are great, you may need a camel backpack for hydration, but not my preference. But on warm days, it is good to soak a sports nylon style t-shirt in water, wring it out, and wear it, with air venting through your jacket.
  6. welcome aboard :] when it comes to gear, like everything else take your time try it all on and don't forget the discount stores and or discount racks.
  7. Welcome to NR...
  8. Thanks for your replies.
    I will have to find time to do some legwork, my training is looming and will be upon me before I know it :)
  9. Look for a textile jacket that has mesh on the whole front of it so airflow can go straight through it. I've got a ixon sismic that I love. It has 2 removable liners that u can use if it gets abit colder or if u get stuck in the rain.
  10. #10 Juggz, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    I have this jacket (AXO Melbourne) and I love it, So many pockets and almost everything is removable. Did I mention they're pretty cheap too?

And for jeans I would recommend RHOK as its an Australian company and I have heard nothing but good things about them.