Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Old Magazine Articles

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by ibast, Jul 13, 2016.

1. #1 ibast, Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    Quite some time ago Ia threatened to scan some articles from some of my old magazines. I think it didn't eventuate because my fight with the scanner at work.

So I'm trying again. The first article is about the Norton F-one rotary. At the time it was pretty close to the 600s of the day, in terms of performance, but unfortunately in terms of price it was much dearer.

It's a shame, because as a technology I think a rotary should work well in a motorcycle.

I will be posting other articles, not all reviews. Please feel free to do so yourself, although I'd say 10 years old as a minimum and preferably 20.

For reference sake this article is from Australian Motorcycle News Vol.30 No.16 Jan19 to Feb1, 1990 and the Author was Alan Catchart. CCF07132016_00002. CCF07132016_00003. CCF07132016_00004. CCF07132016_00005. CCF07132016_00006. CCF07132016_00007. CCF07132016_00008. CCF07132016_00009.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. #2 ibast, Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    My second article is about Fornales Shocks from the same pubication. Author Simon Arlidge an Ken Wootton CCF07132016_00000. CCF07132016_00001.
  3. thanks for sharing that
  4. Great idea, thanks for posting ibastibast. Interest to read that a 170/60 rear was considered potentially over-tyred on the Norton F1 model. And £12,700 in 1990 - premium prices rising from the ashes!
  5. Wonderful stuff, mate, more please!!
  6. Awesome :D
  7. Ok this one is from two wheels August 1981. It's kind of a touring review from a amatuer journalist point fo view. I was reminded of it by the molethe mole recently.

Let me know if you need full suze images to read it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Awesome stuff, I'm really enjoying these posts so thanks again ibastibast. A chopped-up waxed paper cup as a replacement gasket, Holden exhaust strap replacement and a motorcycle seat stopper as a sump plug! I just don't hear about these sorts of things much anymore. Mind you, zip-ties, gaffer tape and liquid metal do some get-you-there good service now I suppose.

Using Chrome browser, I clicked the first image to preview them, then right-clicked each image and selected 'Open image in new tab' so I could view it at 100% scale.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. #9 ibast, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    For shits an giggles, today I've scanned an ad. It's not a particularly funny ad but for me it highlights some interesting things about motorcycle design.

Somewhere along the line the Japanese decided they could never sell a water cooler looking motorcycle. So now we have all these japanese (and others) cruisers floating around that are water cooled, but look air cooled. I think the below bike actually looks pretty cool as a water cooled bike and it's a shame it wasn't developed further along these lines.

Of course in the flesh it didn't quite look as good as the picture but it was better than the earlier 750 and 1100 viragos.

Oh, and apologies for the bad stiching. My photo sticher didn't like it, so I just did it in word. It came from Bike Australia Feb 1886

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  10. This one is from Streetbike No. 6 Ovt-Nov 90. It's actually a classic bike article about the Vellocette Thruxton.

Apparently these days you can buy a new one built from after market parts. If you are rich enough.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks for the article on the 450, that was motorcycling as I fondly remember it! A mate of mine once lost the joining link on his chain, which luckily just came off without doing the usual carnage. We were out in the bush with no spares, so he cut a bit of wire out of a fence and tied the chain together with that, riding it carefully home with no issues. A couple of weeks later I caught up with him again and mentioned how lucky he'd been, the look on his face was enough to tell me he'd forgotten all about it and was still riding around with the wired chain!!
    • Like Like x 1