Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Old Kawasaki Z750 - Worth the Effort?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by TTH, May 21, 2006.

1. I've come across a neglected z750 (early to mid eighties) looking a little past its former glory. What were they like to ride and look after and is it going to be worth it to put any time and effort into it. Looks straight as, but suffering from prolonged exposure, chrome bits a bit rusty, handgrips perished, some oil showing in different areas around gaskets. Not sure about the engine condition when parked.

I am dreaming of a more road friendly bike than the KLX without breaking the bank doing it.

2. If you restore it good and proper to it's former glory than it will be a "nice" bike... but if you ate looking for cheep transport... some thing to put on road on a buget and have little care for looks... get a smashed bike and make it into a streetfighter...
  3. Is it a four or twin? They are CHEAP bikes to do up the old Z's. Heaps of new aftermarket parts available for them. Very strongly built, simple and bulletproof. Both the fours and twins are good engines, they leak oil, but gaskets are readily available for them and that wil fix it. Or you just ignore the leaks.
    Safe well mannered bikes, easy to ride and cheap to maintain.
    If you want a cheap reliable bike you don't mind initially spending a few dollars on, buy it.
    I base all this on buying one last year and getting it running and registered, then putting 6000kms on the bike trouble free.
    Here's a great link:
    As with any bike, keep it well tuned and it will treat you very well.
    I should also add, don't spend more than a couple of hundred buying it, you can get complete nice bikes off Ebay for $1500 or so. And being an early 80's model, it should have alloy wheels, if it has spoked wheels, budget about $200 for alloys from the wreckers. You don't want spoked wheels on a daily rider, especially rusty old leaky ones, ask me how I know!

Regards, Andrew.
  4. Cheers for the replys, my mind is made up, I will go for it if I can get it for the right price. Was thinking that $250 would be absolute max. Will posts pics and update if I get it.
  5. Let me know if you get it, wil point you towards some good parts suppliers.

Regards, Andrew.
  6. Got the bike, and under budget, on my to pick it up this afternoon.

Will advise on progress. Will be nice to join the realm of real bike riders instead of running around on the KLX.
  7. Cheers Birdrock, will do.