Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Old Helmet recycling???

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Faramir, Feb 2, 2007.

1. I am very sure that this topic has been covered before. Or am I asking a very silly question????

When I brought my bike six months ago, a friend (ex-rider) gave me his helmet. I kindly said that the helmet didn't really fit my head. I got myself a new helmet anyway. I forgot about this helmet until last Sunday when I found it at the bottom of my wardrobe. It had a manufacture date of Aug/1998. (I won't let anyone wear this helmet.)

Rather than just throwing it out in the tip, is there anyone who recycles old helmets into something (not "recondition" helmets if there is such a thing). (Or Similar to how we recycle/safely dispose of mobile phone batteries). Do old helmets get stripped down and have a 2nd life as some other component (eg old newspapers become toilet paper).

Will this old helmet become nothing more than just landfill?

PS: Where is the thread for repairing/recycling old leather jackets. My friend also gave me a leather jacket?
  2. Fibreglass and carbon fibre can't be recycled - and even though the polystyrene foam can be recycled, there's no money in it (which is why domestic recycling won't touch polystyrene). You could probably recycle a plastic shell if you removed everything else but given the small number of riders I don't think helmets are going to put a significant burden on landfill sites.
  3. if its fibre glass, donate it to an airbrush artist to practice on :)

My stepdad has got a shelf in his shed he puts all his old helmets on, and a pic of him and each matching bike, looks cool, sorta like his own little history shelf. 14 old helmets all lined up on display shows how the fashion/technology has changed over the years too.
  4. What a great Idea, think Ill do the same! :)