Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Old guy but newbie on a bike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by willmolmag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Hey Everyone,
    So as the title says I am an old guy but new on a bike. I am 38 (definitely not ancient but okder than some). I rode a little in paddocksand the like when I was younger but have now taken the jump and gotten my L's and am looking to buy a bike. I am 5'10 and 85kg so I don't want to look like a giant on a 250 so I was thinking an rvf400. Something a little bigger but still small enough I can become a better rider on and also easy to sell in the future. My question is what to look for when buying a bike? Common problems? Anything I should check?
    Thanks for your help :)

2. Welcome.

Agreed - at your size and weight with road experience (I assume you drive) a 250 will leave you wanting.
    The new LAMS laws dictate a 3 year restriction period so take that in mind.

Although the RVF400 is a classic and cult bike with lots of credibility, it's not for the faint-hearted and is likely to be unkind to your wallet.

Have you ever ridden before?
  3. G'day willmolmagwillmolmag, welcome to Netrider. Like you, I'm also in my late thirties and got my Learner rider licence about eighteen months ago. I'd also ridden motorcycles on farms up to about fifteen years or so ago.

Some of the other popular mid-sized LAMS sports models I looked at when buying a bike were the Honda CB400, Honda CB(R)500R/F/X, Suzuki SFV650 Gladius, Kawasaki ER6NL and Yamaha MT-07. I don't think I'd have been disappointed with any of them and there seems to be a fairly active re-sale market for them once you're ready to upgrade.
  4. welcome aboard :) It will also depend on what sort of bike you want.

do you want sports cruiser or adventure
  5. 38? Still a spring chicken. I was 50 whe I got my L's. Previous experience on a farm bike in the teens, and riding in Bali in my early 20's.

One you you have ridden, it sort of sticks, but still heaps to learn and experience.

Welcome to the wonderful world of bikes.
  6. #6 Vertical C, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    Motor size has nothing to do with the size of a bike. A drz250 is bigger than a 1299 Ducati.

Go onto cycle ergo and look up some bikes.

The rvf ia overpriced for what it is. A cb400 is better overall.
    • Like Like x 1