Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Old BSA gearbox - hows it work?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by TRA, Sep 26, 2011.

1. I am playing around with the old BSA I bought. Getting the tank relined and the little bits that need doing, and of course sitting on it to see how it feels.

What I dont get is the gear box. ITs a pre unit box, and it seems that you can select a position that disengages the rear wheel from the the gearbox, and another position that disconnects the engine from the gear box? Is this right or am I just going mad. Its hard to without actually riding the bike.

Just wondering what the actual shift pattern is. Its going to be hard to ride shifting gears on the right hand side!

2. Pre-unit BSA box will almost certainly be 1-N-2-3-4 and down-for-up.

Otherwise, apart from being slow, heavy and reluctant to find neutral at a standstill (mostly down to the clutch) it's just like a modern box :D. Any neutrals other than the official one are false neutrals and not a design feature. You will find that you have to shift like you mean it.

As to the shift being on the wrong side, it doesn't take that long to adapt if you put your mind to it. A few years ago I was regularly going from my own conventional Japs to MrsB's Commando (RH, down-for-up) and her T100 (RH, up-for-up) and was coping more or less OK. The nice thing about old Brits is that most have a flat enough torque curve that gear selection is not critical :LOL:.