Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Old bikers

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by RussellDP, May 19, 2016.

1. I just bought a pair of boots off a bloke on eBay. So what? Thats no great news.

Turns out he is an old biker who has hung up the helmet and was getting rid of gear. Lives about an hour and a half away.

So we exchanged phone numbers, turns out he is travelling in a couple of days so we are planning to catch up in Echuca.

And then he starts talking bikes. My god, had some great rides. Last bike was a Ducati 1198.

Needless to say, im gonna buy him a coffee when we catch up on the weekend and let him tell me his story.

I love motorbike people.

• Like Like x 15
  2. Yeah RussellRussell, I've found some very interesting people through motorcycling too. In a group of riders I've ridden locally with, there's an average age of ~70 years. The collection of stories from their lives that is never-ending - about motorcycling and many other things - is a marvellous thing to enjoy during stops.

Recently, one the group had a low-speed accident on his Hornet near home and fractured his leg. He thought of hanging up the helmet for good but has since decided to continue riding shorter distances. His presence and conversation would have been sorely missed otherwise; everyone is pleased he will ride on.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Once a biker, always a biker...

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 5
  4. I used to ride with a group of people out of a few churches in Nowra. One of them was a lovely old gent of 83: he rode a 1980s BMW....

• Like Like x 3
  5. So glad to read your post I was thinking as a newbie at nearly 50 I've probably only got 10-15yrs max of being fit enough to keep riding but if an old bloke can still ride an 1198 then I might move the goal post to 80. Oh yeah I'll be pickin up lady pensioners left right and centre

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I suppose it's one of those things you have to re-evaluate as you go. I hope I can emulate these blokes and keep riding as long as I can. More than one of them is in the process of making decisions to downsize bikes and ride shorter distances to prolong their riding days.

• Like Like x 2
  7. I've ridden with guys up to 84 that can still keep up with normal road riding, no trouble at all. How fit you are is pretty much up to you, medical conditions not withstanding. If you want to stay strong and fit enough to ride, do something about your strength and fitness and make it part of your lifestyle. You don't need to bulk like Arnold or run marathons, but strong and fit are possible at any age.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  8. I have 5 older half brothers (and one older sister) of whom all have ridden bikes at some point. 2 of them still ride in what I'd call "full time capacity", the other two don't ride any more but still talk about their experiences. These guys are quite a lot older than me, they're all now in their 60's except for one and they tell some awesome stories, have old school mechanical skills and a thirst for riding just as strong as some young guy. Taking the time to listen to them is, without sounding contrite, an honour. And I feel the same when I talk to any older rider of that same vintage, when things were a bit more free law wise and bikes were more basic mechanical wise.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I am actually really looking forwards to having a cuppa with this bloke and his wife. Listen to some old battle stories and have a laugh.

• Like Like x 3
  10. #10 ljcoolio, May 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2016
    Yes that's sounds much better than having to stop altogether in one fowl swoop

Maybe you could share them on NR so they're not lost I'd be interested to hear them

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. As a predominately solo rider, I often chat to other 'lone riders' during coffee/meal breaks, some amazing and inspirational stories I've heard.
    Even from the 'not so old riders'.

I try to maintain bike fitness, so I too can ride as long as possible into my older age. Trying to do what I can now, as illness/injury can hit at anytime, and I don't want to be that person that leaves things too late in life to enjoy it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. One thing I have learnt is that everyone has a story, a reason for being where they are and doing what they are doing. You just have to listen. The stories are fascinating, interesting, sad and happy but always worth listening to! Enjoy the coffee and the time chatting RussellDPRussellDP!!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. #13 Geoff3DMN, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
    I remember with great fondness taking a gent well into his 90's for a pillion when I was visiting his grand children. He was very interested in my '99 Triumph Sprint ST that I was riding at the time because back in the 60s he was mostly a 'Triumph man'. He was a bit nonplussed that my Triumph actually had 3 cylinders until I reminded him that Triumph had released a Triple (the Trident 750) in 1969 (which jogged his memory) and all was good then (my bike was a proper Triumph again).

When he mentioned that he'd like to go for a short pillion ride I was a little worried (he was in his 90s) so I spoke to my friends (grand kids generation and younger than me) then the parents (about my age) and all were supportive.

So I got on the bike and with a bit of help he got on too and off we went for a ride around the township in Tassie they lived in and then out onto the highway where we cruised along at 110 on a nice sunny afternoon. Soon enough we were yelling back and forth over the wind noise and he complimented me on the exhaust note and the removable panniers and was amazed that I had heated grips.

I think he would have happily ridden off into the sunset with me but my time was limited so we headed back, the smile on his face making him look 20 years younger and when he finally got off he made me promise to drop in again next time I was in town (because I had a proper bike, not this japanese stuff that the grand kids have lol) but sadly I never had the chance.

I remember him asking why I was so pleased to be taking him for a ride and I said, after thinking about it for a bit that he was 'still a motorcyclist' even if he couldn't still ride and maybe, just maybe, I'll be lucky enough that someone will come along when I can't ride anymore and take me for a ride and I can tell him about you.

And he shook my hand and I rode off, and I'm still riding more than a decade later and will be for a good while longer but I hope that when I can't I get that pillion ride before I'm done.

• Winner Winner x 17
    • Like Like x 2
  14. This may well have been posted elsewhere; but it speaks of old bikers ...

• Like Like x 2
  15. I ride regularly with an 82yo who is minding his son's Bandit, he thinks this is great as his son pays the speeding fines - try convincing the constabulary the it was your 82 yo father doing 120km/h :sour::sour:

• Funny Funny x 8
  16. Try convincing them it was only 120!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  17. So I picked up the boots this morning, sat and had a cuppa with this amazing bloke who started riding in 1969, rode everything from Harleys to Indians, commuters to sports bikes.

He handed on a wealth of information, tips and advice, tried to not have me pay for the boots even, and even offerred me some wet weather gear, which I declined only as i am pretty set with the Dririder rain suit.

But a top class bloke, a good ride so all in all a great day.

Bring on the next old hand and long ride

• Like Like x 7
  18. #18 Shayles, May 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2016
    I tried selling my old gear with no luck , so I bought another bike so I could carry on using it.
    Cheers

Very true- gave my last bike to nephew 5 years ago- went without a bike for three years and felt a yearning
    evry time I went to race meetings or followed a bike on the road. Now have another installed in the garage.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Took my bike for a coffee run today. Walking back to the bike after a stroll around the local markets. Lady says to me 'Love your bike - love the colour'. Started chatting to her and she says that she used to ride all the time, but stopped when MS got the better of her, offered her a sit on my bike started it for her. She was quite chuffed and you could see that 'rider' in her wanting to take off. Motorbikes start conversations and riders come from all walks of life. It was a pleasure to be able to give her a 'thrill' for the morning.

• Like Like x 6
  20. Think I did bloody well for $40.00

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3