Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Old and New Rider

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Greg Owen, Jul 4, 2014.

1. G'day,

Hello to everyone on Netrider. Iam a new rider in as much as I haven't ' straddled the saddle' in a number of years. I now ride a DR650SE and have certainly discovered that motorcycle riding is a perishable skill. If you don't use it you definetly loose it. I had in the late 60's through to the 80's extensive riding experience both on and off road, but was put out of action for a long time. Anyway, I am back in the saddle and gingerly edging my way along once more. I can't recapture the glory days of yore but am not letting the creeping up of age stop me from enjoying a great pastime.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Welcome back to the fold and to NR !

3. Welcome Greg.

You'll also have noticed a great leap forward in motorcycle technology from the old days.

4. Sorry it takes me a while to get back to emails and such like and access the net. Thanks for all the welcomes. Yep, things have changed that's for sure. At one time it was 'easy as' to strip a bike down in the scrub and put it back together, now I wouldn't have a clue where to start. One constant seems to be there though (I think) and that's reliability. The oldies (some) were also reliable.

For me the main purpose of the DR is to build it up to a suitable adventure level and take one adventure ride I've always had in mind; and head out across the top desert roads from Boulia Qld to Halls Creek WA.

Kind regards,
    Greg O (a.k.a Sherman)

5. Welcome Greg. I know exactly what you mean about going away and coming back. My last bike in 198something was a Kawasaki 250 triple two stroke, my comeback bike in 2005 was a 600 with nearly 90 horsepower!!
    Anyway, enjoy before arthritis and tut-tutting relatives set in......
    (The bike in my avatar you probably remember)

6. Welcome to NR...

We're all young here.. ;)