Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Old and Naked (Really)

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by rc36, Sep 10, 2005.

1. I scanned these pictures out of one of my really old mags. Cycle (USA) magazine, November 1975.

The bike was built by a Howard Blau, a practising attorney in Los Angeles, California. It was basically a styling exercise to show how a humble bike, in this case a Honda CB550/4, could be transformed into something that set it apart from every other bike.

The bike was not meant to be a street-legal bike, as the absence of road-going gear indicates, and, in fact, Mr Blau kept it for some time on the hearth in his living room as a piece of sculpture.

That said, the bike WAS a goer, and Cycle reported sparkiling performance from its worked-over moter and greatly reduced weight.

A fine example, in my opinion, of an early naked bike and beautifully executed too.

http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~vfr750/MyBikePics/500-4_3.jpg
    http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~vfr750/MyBikePics/500-4_4.jpg

Comments??

2. Is that a stearing damper on the front of the bike? Custom made for the bike or where they widely available at that stage (excuse the ignorance)?

Hell of a lot of space spare. could have made it much more compact.

3. Had one extacly like that on my '79 XS-650 Yamaha, Matt!!! It worked pretty well too!

4. Telescopic steering dampers like that were readily available as an aftermarket accessory in the 70's and early 80's

Some of this Japanese bikes' handling was so evil you needed one.

Of course BMW had an integrated one built into the steering head if my memory serves me correctly. It was friction operated.