Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

OK!!! What the hell is going on??

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by matt232, May 2, 2005.

1. Either I've just turned invisible, having a massive run a bad luck or I'm doing something wrong.....I'm leaning toward the later.

In the space of two weeks I've had 4 major incidents which have put life and limb in jeopardy.

1. Thursday 21st April

Riding in the left lane just coming up to an intersection a white van without and indicator has pulled out of the right lane where he is stuck behind a right turning vehicle. He did it just as I came up on the rear of his van and said that he couldn't see me, thankfully he did eventually see me and stopped and I was able to swerve around him 3/4 into my lane.

Pulled over and waited for him to pull up an apologise but he kept going so I followed and pleaded with him to watch out for riders in the future. He was apologetic and no harsh words were exchanged.

Perhaps it would have helped that I had got over to the left wheel rut sooner so he could have had a better chance to see me and I had more room to get around him.

2. Monday 25th April

Riding between Whitfield and Mansfield overshot a corner and came off.
    https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?p=77726#77726
    https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?p=79954

Should have been taking it easier on an unfamiliar road.

3. Friday 29th April

A car almost rear ends me as I merge onto the Eastern freeway.
    https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?p=78820#78820

Perhaps I should have used the entrance lane that doesn't require me to merge or perhaps braked and looked for a bigger gap (even though cars in the left lane are supposed to give way to merging traffic....does no one know that rule?)

4. Today Monday 2nd May

Riding north along Montague St, doing 60km/h I'm coming up to a south bound 5 ton truck with a massive bullbar on the front with his right hand indicator on to turn across my lane. The road is clear ahead of me and he waits until I'm about 10 metres from him to start turning into the side road. Jump on the brakes and give a slight swerve, front wheel locks up (I serious think that this rate I'll get through my front tyre before my rear) but thankfully he sees me and stops a metre or so over the white line. I still slow down and decide to do a uturn and follow him into a side street to have a chat with him. I follow him for two turns and then realise he isn't going to pull over so I blast on the horn and he stop and waits for me to come along side him at the next intersection.

Conversation went something like this:

ME: "You realise you almost killed me back there?"
    HIM: "Yer I'm sorry"
    ME: "I'm shaking like a leaf over here"
    HIM:"I'm not too happy either" <----- I really don't think he has much right to come back with this but decided to stay to course

ME: "You have to keep and look out for us riders"
    HIM: "Yer I know, I'm sorry"
    ME and HIM: repeat the above exchange until I think he has got the idea and I get him to agree we have a deal and give him the thumbs up which seems to send a wave of relief over him.

I ride off still shaking like a leaf, and still am pretty much.

Summary

I used to be able to pick out all this stuff but it seems that I'm shit at reading traffic these days......I don't know how I lost it.....perhaps I'm not focusing as much...perhaps I've become complacent.....

But it seems pretty obvious that even though the majority of fault lies with the other parties (again this attitude could be my downfall as well) that I need a serious refresh of defensive riding and being able to pick out the problems before they happen. Not sure how long my luck can last.

So I'm going to have to focus more and really devote time to reading the traffic and extending my radar as far as possible but I'd also like to get my hands on a book or something to do a bit of a refresher. I've got the Ride On video at home so its probably time to stick that in the VCR and give it another look. Anyone know of any good books that focus on this aspect of riding?

2. Is the bike possessed? :shock:

Could be some freaky Christinesque death-bike thing :eek: :D .

Give me the bike for a month and I'll see what happens.....what are friends for right :wink: .

3. It's prob because of your off, and you are now 'hyper-senstive'....either that or people's IQ's have taken a big drop recently.

Try meditating, your head should be completely empty when you are riding.

4. you're obviously a fairly chatty fella there, i'm normally content to just shake my fist and swear in my helmet at them :LOL:

all bikes are invisible mate, its like us bikers have this special power that allows us to see them. i can imagine that the motoGP would be a bit boring for cagers, they'd just be looking at a black piece of road for an hour :shock:

5. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

6. When coming towards a vehicle that looks as though it is going to turn across your path, hit your high beam a couple of times to attract their attention. Any advantage you can give yourself is a bonus, and who cares if they're annoyed at being flashed. At least you got their attention.

Shane

7. When coming towards a vehicle that looks as though it is going to turn across your path, hit your high beam a couple of times to attract their attention. Any advantage you can give yourself is a bonus, and who cares if they're annoyed at being flashed. At least you got their attention.

Shane

8. Boy, you're having a rough time aren't you...

It might be worth checking out Pat Hahn's book "Ride Hard, Ride Smart". More info here:

http://www.debaucheryball.org/

Lots of useful stuff on defensive riding, reading traffic etc.

Oh - if you check out some of the links from that site you'll come across the pages devoted to Debaucheryball. This really should be the official Netrider game. :LOL:

9. I think subconsciously your confidence has taken a bit of a battering, particularly after your off.
    Just ignore the incidents and go out there and ride as normal and your confidence will come back.
    then your reflexes and confidence and intuition will return.
    At the moment you are focusing on the negatives without being aware of them.

10. Are you riding with your high beams on during the day?
    Have you put on the loudest pipes you can afford?
    Do you have and often use a horn that sounds like a freight train?

If none of the above, then make a start on these items today, remember we shouldn’t be seen as obstacles out there for other traffic; we should be scaring the bejesus out of them, making all road users fully aware of our presence.

11. there are some courses that you can take that focus on that aspect of riding. I am pretty sure HART does one. Or maybe even a defensive driving course, they teach skills for a car "should" teach you how to recognise when to use them...

Or, go the excorcism kit and get your bike sorted :D

12. I have times like this too, but I don't really believe there's any such thing as luck. I take it as a reminder that I am maybe becoming a little complacent and missing the signs.

Truth is, you can't expect everybody to be considerate and obey the rules all of the time and It's pointless blaming other road users, as all this does is wind you up. You've just got to assume that they're all out to get you. The 'challenge' is in staying alive.

But that's just saying what you already know.

Sorry, I'm suffering from Monday Blues.
    Please ignore me :-(

13. I'm dissapointed in a way, because i havent experienced these retarded cage drivers yet.. I've just had the normal cut offs that would of happend whether i was in a car or a bike :?

14. Don't know if it would work in a bike but a friend of mine is running a pair of HID landing lights from a Beech Bonanza as his high beams in an old Mini. They work WONDERS with the coal and cattle trucks out his way. Not sure how much modification was needed.

15. hmmm, sorry to hear about all the close calls. after my recent bingle i take roundabouts around 1/2 the speed i used to, fortunatly the traffic around me has behaved up to this point.

the thing that always comes to mind when riders site incidents where their not seen is the case of ambulances. watch them on the road, or in a specific video of them trying to do their business and as a 2 tonne large brightly painted, lights designed to be easily seen by humans flashing siren wailing vehicle their still not seen.

i think that almost every time one approaches an area of traffic where they need cars to get out of the way, there is almost always one person oblivious to them. if 1 in 5/10 cars can't see an ambulance, what hope do we have? :? :shock:

..perhaps we need random ambulance 'if you can't see us when we've been sitting behind you for 2 minutes blaring away at you, your licence is permanantly cancelled' tests :D

16. Time to pull out the bubble wrap Matt..... A few layers around you and the bike should do it :)

17. Close calls....

Always remember ...

There's no point arguing that you had "right of way" when you're dead.

So go out there, put your helmet of invisibility on, assume everyone is trying to kill you - and ENJOY YOURSELF :D

Steve.

18. Close calls....

Always remember ...

So go out there, put your helmet of invisibility on, assume everyone is trying to kill you - and ENJOY YOURSELF :D

Steve.

19. Close calls....

Always remember ...

This applies anywhere, round abouts, intersections, freeways, side streets, etc..

Steve.

20. woah ! I think we get the message !!! :shock: :shock: :shock: