Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ok some really/stupidly basic stuff I need help with

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by RunningALK, Dec 30, 2008.

1. I got my bike today and have only ever done the Ls course, no other learning

Firstly, how do I start and stop on slopes (going up hill) without rolling backwards? If I am using the footbrake, is the bike going to move forward wihle it still applied in this spot?

Second, when your approaching an intersection, not a busy one, like where in a car you'd pause then give way, do I have to actually stop and launch the bike again? It possible to roll slowly in 2nd and then keep going or do I have to use the clutch? Do I have to drop down to 1st for this? I have never driven a stick car before either.

I also never have any idea what gear I am in or what I should be in... how can I tell? I seem to be in 1st a lot but I should be going straight to 2nd right?

And yes I am very raw/new have no idea. Need help.
  2. I am only on my L's as well, but have read about this one as i was curious aswell.

When your going uphill, its the same as normal, front and rear brake to stop.
    But then when you go to take off again, you should only be holding the rear brake. throttle and clutch out of it.
  3. You treat yourself like you would in your car (with respect to road rules). If there is a give way sign then you can slowly approach and then if it is clear proceed. If it is not, then stop.

Rolling slowly in 2nd gear depends on how slow is slow...you could always slip the clutch, you will have to feel if you need to select 1st gear...and you will know this if you are going slow in 2nd and your bike starts stutter or stall.

It all about getting to know your bike.

I would get out to a carpark or somewhere where it is quiet and practice slow approaches. You will get a feel for gear your bike needs to be in at what speed.

Slow approaches do not only occur at intersections, but in many situations for instance approaching cars at a traffic light which has turned green but the cars are only just starting to move off...you don't want to stop then start.

Practice slow riding...its something that many people take for granted, but don't realise that your bike is the least stable at slow speeds, hence requires more of your attention. :grin:
  4. when coming to a stop on a hill, make sure you are in first gear BEFORE you come to a complete stop.
    your left foot will be on the ground while your right foot will hold the rear brake (stopping the bike rolling back).
    when its time to move on, you release the clutch and accelerate at the same time (as you normally do on flat ground - or whatever way you do it personally).
    when you feel it all bite and the bike wants to start moving, you release the rear brake and you should move forward.
    you will need a few extra revs than normal when you take off as you have to haul the bikes weight (and your own) up the hill.
    go find a quiet area with a hill and practise this until you are comfortable.

the second part of your question depends if there is a Stop sign or not involved.
    obviously, if there is a stop sign, you must stop regardless if there is traffic coming or not.
    if its a give waysign, approach the corner slowly and read the traffic.
    you should be prepared to either stop or move on depending on the traffic no diffrenent than when your in a car.
    what gear you should be in also depends on the speed you are travelling.
    listen to your engine and you will quickly learn whats going on.
    if its screaming and you arent really gathering anymore speed, its well past the time to select a higher gear.
    same as taking off in a gear too high - if it feels like its lacking power and its struggling - drop a gear or two.
    youll soon figure it all out.
    find some quiet back streets and do some starts/stops, hill starts/stops etc.
    also do some rolling starts too as if you are at an intersection.
  5. Sounds like you need a lot more practice around your streets before you attempt busy roads.

And just FYI there are plenty of people here willing to help you with one on one lessons.. just make sure they are on the ball before you agree to meet them.

Let us know where abouts in Melb your from and maybe you will get a few PM's.
  6. I am in Greensborough. And you are spot on, feeling bit overwhelmed at day 1 and would appreciate any help I could get.
  7. 1. Rear brake. Practice on the flat. You will feel the bike "take up" whenteh clutch is eased out.
    2. Ist gear, Oh you did learn to count at school? Count the changes up and down.
  8. Ok I did some more riding today and got a better feel for what gear I was in and was practicing the hill starts on my drive way. So going a long a bit better.

Still unsure about one of my original questions, I don't think I explain it well enough.

Say I am approaching a turn where I have to give way, I am going about 20km an hour in 2nd gear..... as I come up to the corner, should I

a) Hold the clutch in and kick it to 1st..... still holding the clutch as I approach the corner and then launch off again from a stop

b) Hold the cluch in, kick it to 1st, let go off the clutch... roll along in 1st, then only bring the clutch in again if I am actually going to stop rather than just give way.

I still don't really understand how the clutch works. May be I can bring it in only a little bit in one of these scenarios and that will help?
  9. In response to your last post, you will get used to it with time even if you aren't given any advice so just get out there and practice.

If I'm coming up to a T intersection and I have to give way to the right:

I'll go down through the gears till I get to second and then take the corner

If I'm in second and still need to slow down more to see around the corner, I'll go into first with the clutch lever in and slowly coast as I'm braking. As soon as I can see round the corner I'll slowly release the clutch and give some revs to get going around the corner. (The exact same as I'd normally do in a manual car)

Doing it this way I find that if I need to stop to give way I'm already in first and can put my left foot down ready to take off again.

Hope this answers your question. If not, I'm sure more practice will.
  10. Clutch, Brake and Throttle are not digital... i.e. they are not an on or off device...

If you are going through a corner or intersection on a motorbike and you want to roll at a speed too slow for the gear you are in, you can 'slip the clutch'... i.e. hold the clutch half in... The only problem is, you need to be ready to kick it down to first if you need to stop...

four controls, two hands, two feet... it isn't a coincidence :)

11. I personally wouldn't be rolling around the corner with the clutch lever in. Also in most circumsatances I wouldn't be feathering (slipping) the clutch in a gear that was too high when I could just change down.

Most bikes can roll around (i.e. throttle closed) a corner in second at a pretty low speed and can probably take off the other side in second as well. But it may depend on exactly how slowly you are going. If you are coming to a stop or near stop then you may need first. The issue is what does it feel like. If you try to accelerate out of the corner in second and either need to feather the clutch lots or the bike starts to shudder from the engine being at too low a revs, then you need a lower gear. If not then second should be OK.

Even if second is OK, if you want to take off faster, then you may need first.

If it's wet, second may be safer, as first is more likely to create wheel spin than second.

Like most things to do with bikes, there is no one correct answer and it all depends on the circumstances.

Get onto a quiet street and do some practice. Try doing it in first. Try leaving in second. Which feels right/better?

Don't worry, with practice you will get a feel for it and it will eventually become second nature.