Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ok... on a scale of 0 to 9, how crazy is it to repair one's own clutch

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by metanoia, Oct 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. So... my poor old beemer (F650 GS twin) has seen just under 91000km... So, a few bits and pieces are starting to wear out.

The front rotor and, possibly, the clutch.

Being a beemer, one has to auction off one's children to pay for this sort of thing. Alas, never having had a child, I have to resort to desperate measures.

So, hardened mechanotypes, would you fit replacing the plates in a clutch as being something that a workshop newbie could/should be able to do?

Or should I just adopt a child or two to auction off and get a proper mechanic to fix? ;-)

2. get the service manual, read through the clutch bit, see if you understand it and have the tools for it...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Not a hard job, but a big job. You will need to completey dismantle the bike, then reassemble it and hope you did it right because you don't want to have to do it all over again.

Unless you can find someone with experience to help you, and have a service manual plus the require tools and workshop supplies, get someone to do it and learn on smaller jobs.

CC

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sorry, didn't read it was an F650. Assumed dry clutch in a boxer or flat 4.

Should be a doddle.

CC

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wise advice... I've watched a couple of videos of people doing what I may need to do... Fortunately, BMW have made the process easier - on older bikes one needed to remove the gear lever, left peg, drain engine, drop the exhaust, loosen and shift out of the way a pipe or two - before one could even get the casing off.

With my model, it's remove the gear lever and peg, drain engine, and then off with the casing!

6. No idea what is involved with your bike but I replaced clutch plates and springs on a VFR800 and its was pretty easy. If you have a manual, the right tools and a reasonable understanding on how to use them, a fridge with a six pack and a couple or so hours to kill, then you should fine and good to go.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ok... I think that I shall person-up, as it were and do teh replacement myself :)

8. If it's like a Japanese bike, and it sounds like it is, clutch plates and springs are no big deal. You'll want a torque wrench (BMW have torque settings for EVERYTHING), and make sure you know how to use it. Other than that you should just need regular hands tools, ratchet sockets and take care of your seals if you're not planning on replacing them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. It uses a bog standard wet clutch, 2/9 piece of piss. Go for it.

10. metanoiametanoia im in Sydney too and have a wealth of tools if you get stuck for anything... give me a bell if you need a hand

• Like Like x 3
  11. Hardest thing is getting to the clutch cover if the bikes buried under layers of fairings.
    Get a few magnetic trays, rubber mallet, torque wrench, zip lock bags and take pictures of every step you do so you know what it looked like should you have confusion putting it back together.

Make sure you have a spare gasket or tube of gasket maker. The hardest decision for me is always do I change the metal plates at the same time or gamble that they will fine (which they normally are).

12. Think yourself lucky its not a flat twin, watched a mate do one.Not for me,thats very complicated

13. About a 4.136/9 I'd say

• Like Like x 2
  14. I'd have a go at it! Get a workshop manual (download it) use YouTube & forums. Everyone who has done it before, has had to have had a first time at it. If you need a clutch basket removal tool, just buy an universal/adjustable one of fleabag, no need to break the bank on something you'll only use a few times over your lifetime. At least a universal one you can use on their bikes.
    Take photos as you go, then compare the pictures when reassembling it.

Remember: the worst that can happen, is you end up trailering the bike to a mechanic to get the job done, which is your other option initially any how!

Try save a few $$$, learn a new skill and go for it.

15. If you go into it with the right equipment ( tools and service manual) and the right information ( youtube and service manual) and some mechanical aptitude, you should be OK.

I was thinking the same as you until I confirmed where the clutch was.
    On a boxer its a rather big job from memory because the clutch is at the back of the engine, not just a side case job?

16. Yep. On a guzzi it is easier to unbolt the top half of the frame and wheel the bike away then you have to split the motor away from the gearbox. Something similar with the boxers and flat fours.

CC

17. Thanks :)

And thanks everyone :)

18. Blokes in white coats are coming to take you and your clutch away.

• Funny Funny x 1