Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ok just got my new tyre now what?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by syd rs125, Jan 4, 2008.

1. I have this new Dunlop GPR AL - 10f sitting at home and won't be fitted for at least another 2 weeks so i'm just wondering is there anything i should do to prep it ie sanding or put some kind of releasing agent on to get that slippery factory stuff off. If so what sand paper or what chemical??
    Or am i better off just riding it in when it is put on??
    This is the first new tyre i have bought so any help would be appreciated.

2. My apoligies if this is in the wrong section but i figured it is something which when answered might be useful to all the other learners.

3. Just ride it GENTLY. :cool:

4. a little bit of coarse grit sandpaper won't hurt

maybe a quick file

then ride gently for the first 100 - 200 kms :)

5. When you get it fitted, you can ask them about it. I was intrigued when my mech was using liquid butter to scrubs them, or something like that.

6. I have the same tyres and they are like GLUE! Unbelievable road holding! Good choice.

Anyway, the compound is very soft and should be scrubbed in well before 50k's if you do it right.

If you're in melbourne, go to the Kew Boulevard and cut 5 or 6 laps leaning it further each time. Should be fine after that.

BTW: Fill out your f**king profile dude! :?

7. just ride the f'kn thing :grin:

but, err, carefully, as macca pointed out :oops:

use sandpaper to remove chicken strips though, then people will think you are hell-cool :cool:

8. Ok i will leave the tyres as they are and just ride them in when they are fitted.
    thanks for the replies guy's

9. I'll second that. It's much safer than cornering hard, and choosing the right grade of sandpaper is easily as exciting as riding.

10. Maybe a belt sander? It'll add to the prestige value of sandpapering :LOL:

11. phark using sand paper, tyre life is bad enough as is :wink: