Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

OK...got my L's. Now what?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by dags99, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

firstly let me say this a great site. Lot's of good advice.

And secondly, apologies for any redundant questions below...

A little background, I have a Suzuki Intruder LC 250 and gear.
    I am a newly approved L rider and I request any advice/tips anyone has for newbies.

I plan to ease into it as I am nervous as hell!

My questions off the bat are;
    - recommendations for insurance (I checked out insuremyride and swann). Any recommendations other than these for newbies?
    - tips to get over the nerves. how best to get comfortable?
    - any mentors in the north-west sydney area? (I did check the forums btw)
    - any quiet areas I can get started ?
    - does anyone have any experience with eastern creek rider days?
    - As I require glasses to read at night, I am wondering if anyone can suggest a few makes/models (other than contacts) I can look at?

Thanks again for any feedback.
  3. #3 Blaise, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
    Firstly, welcome to Netrider - hope you enjoy your stay here.

Have a read of this thread (especially the first post with the map location and other pertinent information) which is an semi-informal learner session run 1pm every Saturday at Homebush Bay (near Olympic Park). Not only can you practice in a safe environment (a closed off area of roadway) under the guidance of experienced riders, you will meet other members of the forum and have the opportunity to participate on a learner-friendly group ride afterwards. OzYoda runs the sessions (albeit he won't be attending this Saturday as he managed to twig his back - old age is catching up ;)) tirelessly and plays Pide Piper on the group ride which usually ends at McDonalds near Windsor... not too far from Kellyville.

Warning: if you decide to drop in on the Learner's Session this Saturday (1st Dec), remember it is predicted to be very hot... bring some water!

PS. I just remembered that the V8 Supercars will be at Homebush Bay this weekend. Check the thread I linked earlier in this post to see if it is running as it might be a bit busy around the Park.
  4. Hi all, thanks very much for all the feedback support! Love the netrider community!