Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

OK - going shopping on the weekend - what to get ?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by doonx, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Looks like I'll have a cheque from RACV for the whole $4500 early next week. I will now have to go through the whole shopping experience again, but this time with the difference of NOT knowing the person I'll be buying the bike off.

After riding the CBR250RR, the Across, and of course the ZZR last time, and then buying and riding the ZZR over the past 2½ months (I can' believe it was only that long :( ) I have come to realise that ther are some things that are important to me when riding.

I need to be able to sit on a bike in comfort for around 5hrs at a time. I thought the ZZR did this well and will probably get something that has a similar riding position etc. I like the look of a sports bike, and I felt that the fairings suited me, although I have never ridden a fully naked bike. The reality is that I'm not just going to sit on the insurance cheque until I come off my restrictions next January and then buy something bigger. I want to and will buy another 250 now.

Something else that is also important to me is the look of the bike, I know that might sound silly and probably a waste, but I really loved having a good looking machine.

When it came to power and speed, I know the ZZR wasn't the quickest thing in the world, but it was OK for me, even though I did occasionally strangle it a bit.

• 1 So, what do you suggest I look at ?

2 Should I consider adding another $4000 to my money (not that I've got it of course) and get a brand new ZZR250, or should I shop within my insurance cheque and save the money to look for something bigger in 12 months time ?

3 Should I just get something cheap and reliable that will keep me mobile until next year and then get something nice ? If so, what do you recommend ?

I am definitely going to want to go on day rides, I am definitely going to be going up to Dinner Plain/Mt Hotham a few times on it during the next 12 months. I am aware of the benefits of getting something that is easily serviceable, parts are available, and is a commuting bike (Monash Freeway).

Thanks,
    Doonks

2. I recommend shopping within your insurance check and saving the money for that bike you really want when off restrictions. I have no recommendations for bikes though.

3. Definitely stay within the insurance cheque rather then spending big now and not having the cash for an upgrade. I haven't even got my first bike and I'm already hanging out for a 600 :p .

The only reason I'd consider spending big would be if you were certain you wouldn't lose anymore on the expensive bike then you would on the cheap bike when it comes to resale.

4. My vote is to just get a cheap bike. As you said you will want to upgrade when off restrictions and so it would be a bit pointless to spend a packet on a bike you are going to trade in less than 12 months.

5. Another vote for the cheaper option.

You'll be rapt when you've going shopping for something bigger & realise you've got more moola than you thought you had.

6. Get a nice zzr (not too costly) and save up for a z750 later :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Drools :twisted: Or wait and buy mine... 1998 zzr250 and I can get me a nice shiny z750

Lisa :twisted: :twisted:

7. yeah matey, if you were happy with the ZZR, why change it? coming into this time of the year, you should be able to pick something up in decent nik for less than $4k. save that other $4k and get a nice ZZR600 or thundercat or something similar when the restrictions are over.

you like the faring, performance is less important than comfort to you, sounds like you had the right bike to start with :D

8. I'd go the cheap and cheerful option - spend as little as humanly possible on something that simply works (and you won't have to spend any more money on) - look for LOOONG rego and low $$$, whatever the bike is. Save the balance (should be able to save at least 2g from that cheque) and just deal until the upgrade.

9. In case you didnt read the last 50 posts, go the 2nd hand option and start saving now for the upgrade. It comes around quicker than you think. Go with what you know if it suited your needs. Standard 250's are not quick bikes when compared with 500's and above. Don't bother chasing an extra couple of horses now when the upgrade will have at least twice as many.

10. thanks all - yes, i was kind o fjust looking for some reassurance that the plain Jane, keep it cheap option is the one I should make.

Logic must push emotion far aside on this one I think.....